I just shot my first Coyote! 10pm

An afterthought... katiek ... stick that shotgun in the closet and get yourself a predator gun
wink.png
No doubt you killed that coyote, but a swift clean kill is always better. Buy yourself a gun that will do the trick. My favorite gun is a Rossi .243, but I also have a Ruger 204 which is a dandy predator gun
smile.png

I know what you mean, redhen. I dont want to inflict suffering on any animal. Certainly, a clean and final deadly shot is the preference for us all who must remove predators. Sometimes, the shot goes astray, even with the best marksmen. These coyotes sometimes are in such vast numbers that they decimate all the small prey in an area. Not good for them or other animals who hunt the same prey.

Thanks for the info and advice everyone!

My boyfriend is saying that the shotgun wasn't big enough, that's why it wasn't a clean kill.

I feel bad and hope it isn't suffering.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear about yer roo. I can totally relate to the coyote situation. This morning While I was cooking breakfast for the wife I looked out in the pasture and there was not 1 but 2 coyotes. So I grabbed my rifle and went to the back porch. One of them was huge but was right at the edge of the tree line and farther away. The smaller one was out in the open about 200 yards away hunting mice. I drew down fired and was sure that I had missed. But just to be sure I jump into my romeos and head out accross the frozen pasture still in my PJ's. After a good check of the area where he was I was sure that it was a total miss and I didn't need to track. I figure that since we just got started in chickens I would get right on top of this and keep em at bay right off.

Quote:
i know this!
hugs.gif
you were only trying to do the best thing for your hens! noone can fault you!
hugs.gif

Quote:
You are very right Cyn.. even the best aimed shots can go astray...i'm just a sucker if i think of anything suffering..
hit.gif
.....and yet i also want my coys here taken care of! (before they finally get into my goat pen and kill my goats..or my chickens or ducks...but they have mainly been after my goats...)... i guess i cant have it both ways! and i'll tell you what...this lady is brave! noway i'd be sitting outside calling them to come up...heck, i wish she lived by me!
lol.png

Depending on the shotgun, whether it is choked or not, you can also shoot .45 cal rimmed ammo in it making it much more effective. But I would have the .410 checked by a gunsmith just to make sure. You can also use a sabot round which is much like a rifled slug but much easier on the barrel since it has a nylon sleeve over it.

Depending on how close your neighbors are would dictate what caliber you should use. Many of the varmit guns are really too high powered to use in populated areas, especially at night when you don't have a clear view.

Back
Top Bottom