I just want to cry!!! ** It was Ovarian Cancer ** UPDATE: Post 40 :(

I had a rooster that fell ill all of a sudden like that, but it was his neck that gave on him.

Give yogurt, warm oatmeal, water. Baby vitamins and get Vitamin E liquid capsules and cut one open and put in her food 2 times a day.

We fed Hank about every 4 hours, as much as we could get him to take from a syringe or off our finger. Within 48 hours we was making marked improvement. He slept in bed with my 21 yo dd so she could wake him in the night to feed him. This was the firs 3 days, then we let him sleep all night.

By day 5 he could hold up his head and walk around, though got tired easily....and was back to normal by day 7-8.

HTH

She was laying down on the ground under the roost, so she just ran out from under the roost. But she was having a hard time moving. She seems to be breathing harder and is not swallowing very well at all. Earlier she was swallowing water, but now when I dip her beak in the water she just sits there with her beak in the water. She won't swallow any yogurt now either. I have no idea what toxin she would have gotten into. What could cause botulism? She is the chicken in my avi. I did notice a week or so ago, that she started getting a white spot on her face, you can see it in my avi picture, do you think it means anything?

Last edited:
Moldy feed, hay, wet bedding, decaying matter..can all cause botulism.

She's still very red in her face..does she lay eggs? Any idea when she laid her last egg?

No, she isn't laying eggs yet. Or at least I don't think she is. She was hatched last fall.

Last edited:
Actually, she probably should be laying eggs. She is about 24 weeks old. So maybe she is, but I have no idea which egg is hers and when she laid last.

Ok, I think we can rule out egg issue, like internal layer due to her age. It could happen, but less likely (I was considering this because a backup of eggs could put pressure on the nerves).

Any stools - color?

So sorry, Steff, I tried to send to you pm but it was full. Yes, I think it is something else...I believe it is a virus. While I cannot diagnose her--I am convinced I have seen this before. Correct me if I am wrong about this...Am I looking at a pale comb in her pic?

Last edited:
The white spot on her face is a sign of the virus I am suspecting. First thing you need to do is get her to drink again. At this stage she may not even respond to a shot of Tylan but you should try. Tractor Supply has Tylan 50. You can get a small guage needle for a bird there also. Give her about 1cc Tylan 50 under the skin at the back of the neck, as I am suspecting there is not enough breast or thigh to give a shot at this time.

That may help her recover enough to drink again. Usually when they stop drinking it's too late. I'm sorry. There IS a chance you got the vitamins to her in time. We can pray.

Back
Top Bottom