I just want to cry!!! ** It was Ovarian Cancer ** UPDATE: Post 40 :(

OOH also, with a virus or anything that has gotten to this stage you should not give oral Tylan. It is hard on their systems and can cause them to expire. Some viruses cause ruptures/ulcerations to occur internally in the digestive systems.

One step at a time maybe you can help her defeat this. It can't hurt to try.

do a good check of the crop..
feel for any lump or grainy feeling..
also check for odor.
listen for wheezing.

check the vent for any drainage.

get some vitamins in her..Poly-vi-sol/Enfamil brand, no iron..3 drops on beak once a day for a week, then taper off for a week..
if no crop problem..make up some of the mix another poster suggested..
but I would suggest adding a cooked egg yolk..
do you have a crop tube? do you know how to tube feed?
sometimes, when they have been off feed..they need to be forced fed to get them to eat again.
give water by drops on beak..

don't let her lay on her side..
if necessary..make a sling from a bandanna or face mask to get her up..make sure the vent is clear.

bring her in, or separate her to a warm safe draft free place..
is she having any droppings?
if so, describe color and consistency..

fingers crossed for the hen.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your bird.

My question is: if the birds are fed either pellets or crumbles-how do they get nutrionally depleted? Isn't layer feed a complete diet?

So sorry to hear this. An injury is unlikely because of her thin body condition. This didn't just start...it's just that she was compensating until this point (and hiding the illness from you), when she just can't compensate any longer. Treat for the treatable things, continue the good nursing care, and see where it takes you.
Do any of your other birds have the lesions like hers? (Pox, or other viral thing?)

She is doing much better this morning. I kept her in the house last night in a box, and right now I have her sitting on a towel on the floor near me. She is eating and drinking. And even standing up a little bit. When she is not standing she is sitting upright instead of flopping to the side. I gave her some Poly-vi-sol last night and got her to drink/eat as much as she would, which wasn't much. But, now she is eating on an apple, and eating her layer pellets and pecking a little at her yogurt, and she is drinking water without being forced. I am getting ready to make her some scrambled eggs and give her some more poly-vi-sol. I have also put unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar in her water. She is pooping just fine, and it looks normal. She has always been "low chick on the totem pole", so maybe she has been getting bullied away from the food or something. Thanks everyone for the help. Hopefully she will keep improving.

:weeeYEAYYYYYYYYY!!!!
love.gif

thumbsup.gif

Keep up the good work!
yippiechickie.gif
:fl

:clapGood girl!!
clap.gif

Steff, this is great news and very encouraging! You know those chooks who are low on the totem pole can easily be starved out when others are more aggressive at the feeder. I'm so relieved you found her in time. Nurse her back to health with lots of tlc.
hugs.gif

very possible she has been starved out..
may also have been attacked and was in shock..

fingers crossed she'll continue to improve.

you might have a problem returning her to the flock..a docile hen companion might help..
you might consider making a temporary divider and having her a buddy together...at least till she is recovered and you can figure out who the bully is.
observe the flock interaction..the bully might choose another one to pick on..
if you can identify the leader..separate that one for a few days to change the dynamic of the flock.

having multiple feeding and watering stations in different spots helps too.

Last edited:
Hang in there! I had one get so sick with botulism that I was told she would not make it and I should just go ahead and put her down
sad.png
I gave her a couple of days to improve before making that choice and she is happy alongside her sister today... fine and happy
smile.png
They CAN recover. I just made sure she had fluids (they had vitamins added) and she eventually worked through it.

Back
Top Bottom