I just want to CRY!!!!!

McCord6

Away
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Lake Butler (Union County)
Now that i have 8 healthy chicks in the brooder box, I MISS THE BATOR! and it only been a few days. I asked hubby if he doesn't mind if I get a few more eggs to put into the bator, we don't have to keep them when they hatch. He agreed to it. Problem is... A MOUSE CHEWED THROUGH MY BATOR POWER CORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the bator at the last few days and just today when I pulled the plug on the bator to clean it up and prep for another batch, only half of the cord came with it! I just plainly want to CRY!!!! I was hoping to be able to get another batch but it's going to have to wait for a lil while, who knows how long that little while will be!

Yeah I bet you or someone you know could repair the cord. Or replace it. They sell small (16ga) replacement cords at Wal-Mart in the hardware area or any real hardware store will have them - I put a new cord on one of my mom's lamps once.

My newest extension cord has been melted once (brooder light) and mowed over once. Never cut the wire or inside insulation though, so I just re-covered the interior insulation with loads of electrical tape.

No worries! Some 18 gauge lamp cord, a male plug, a couple of wire nuts and some electrical tape and you are good to go! $5 and 5 minutes and you are hatching again.
smile.png

Bah! YOU repair it! It's SO easy and you have nothing to fear!

Here's a couple links, so you can see some different points of view. As one said, you can just replace the plug end even though it may make it shorter, you can use a sturdy power strip to plug it into then. a replacement plug comes with directions. Once you understand the process, the mystery will be lifted.

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/06/24/how-to-repair-severed-power-tool-cords/

http://www.diylife.com/2009/09/10/the-diy-reel-repair-a-broken-power-cord/

Me and the neighbor probably will do it but it has to wait until later this week due to $$$. We are COMPLETELY BROKE! Gas prices are a TOTAL PAIN IN THE REAR expecially since hubby works 30 minutes away, uses his truck job site to job site, and goes to school an hour away from our house, 1 hour 45 min from his work and he has a leak in the gas tank. Economic is a real pain in the rear!

I figured I would get a new one or just replace this one. Im not sure. I really want a new one since this one is more then 20 years old, it needs a retirement.

No way that I can just cut, twist, and seal it back up. It's not chewed in one place but thousands of tiny little chews all along the cord, what a MESS!

Still, it hatched my first 8 chicks, Im very very very connected with it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom