I just wanted to share with you what I do to help keep my birds' water

BethieofVA

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
Yorktown, Virginia
cool during these hot days. I know some of you folks add ice cubes, but they melt so quickly. I have a hanging 1 gallon waterer, so I use our empty water bottles, refill with tap water, freeze and add to act as a giant ice cube. I change them often, rotating them back into the freezer. I think it helps. I hope it helps. It is 105 here in Eastern VA today!

It should help. A good reason to freeze in water bottles instead of ice cubes is that there is less surface area on the larger block of ice than a comparable amount of ice cubes, so it will last longer than the cubes. Also a plus is to keep the bottles in the freezer even when you don't need them outside. What this does is help maintain the cold temp in the freezer and occupies empty space (remove as needed) which should help save on the electric bill.

Quote:
Thanks for breaking it down! I especially like the part of saving on the electric bill! LOL!!
tongue.png

That's a great idea. We've got a big upright freezer in the garage, and we use empty 2 liter pop bottles. We fill them with water and freeze them because it does help the freezer use less electricity, plus, if we get a storm and the power goes out, we don't have water because we've got a well. This way, we've got water in case of emergency to flush the toilets with, drink or whatever....

And I use cool whip containers to make bigger ice chunks for the chickens water. Works very well. The bigger the better though, when it comes to ice!

Thanks for sharing your idea, Beth! It's ONLY 89 here in Ohio!
sad.png
And the humidity is awful! Take care!

Sharon

I froze some Snapple bottles last night and put them in this morning. They seemed to enjoy it much more than big frozen blocks of ice. The plastic seems to make it more comfortable to perch on.

Thankfully, our coop is cinderblock & nice and cool.
I do freeze bottles of water to put in with our rabbits. And, I place them in plastic grocery bags before putting them in the freezer, cuz I am pretty paranoid about mixing people food with pet supplies.

Back
Top Bottom