1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I killed my first chicken

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by VNH, Aug 14, 2011.

1. VNH

VNH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Poor Winkin'.

He was a beautiful white and black EE, 3 1/2 months old, but now he's stew. He developed his 3 rows on the comb and started crowing, got the long curved tail feathers and definitely looked different than the other EE's. Now I know what people mean by the "stink eye" He could really give the "eye" if anyone or any bird came too near. We live in the suburbs so I didn't want the neighbors to complain about his crowing which might lead to anti-chicken ordinances.

I've since read that white and black EE's are often males so I wish that the Chicken Sexers had given him a second look before calling him a female. I guess that it's hard to tell when they're so tiny. I have many fond memories of him and his 2 sisters since they were 3 tiny tufts of feathers.

I watched the videos on how to kill a bird and how to clean it. I did it the old fashioned way with a hatchet and the chopping block/stump in the backyard. I wrapped him in a towel to keep him still and calm and unable to flap. I told him what a beautiful chicken he was right up to the end. He was the first animal I ever killed. (I'm not counting the poor cat that ran in front of my car a few years ago.) It wasn't as traumatic (to me) as I thought it would be once I made the decision to do it. (My husband backed out of the job, "Maybe we could find him a home. Maybe the neighbors won't hear him"..etc.) My son had offered to do it but he was at work so I told myself to stop being a wooss. (How is that word spelled??) If my female ancestors could kill a chicken, so could I. There wasn't a lot of meat on him and no fat. It's definitely not something I would want to do on a regular basis, but I did it.

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Good job and good eating. [​IMG] (I don't enjoy it either).

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Not an easy thing to do when you intended it being a laying hen as a pet. Good job, none the less. Glad he didn't go to waste. [​IMG]

4. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Not something that probably anybody 'likes' to do. Maybe not pleasant, but sometimes neccessary. Good for you, for doing something difficult that needed to be done...

5. themagicash

themagicash Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    Austin
    Yeap, I had a black and white EE that was supposed to be a she but was a he.

Good work!

6. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    We had to do that as well recently to our favorite "hen" who grew a large coomb and started crowing. You should be proud of yourself for being able to do such a hard task! I am proud of you!! (I had my husband do it when I wasn't home and he sits in freezer camp until I can cook him).

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Congrats on bucking up and going old school! [​IMG]

8. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    You did good,Processing your own food is something to be proud of but often not an easy task,The old saying goes....you got backbone,,,good job [​IMG]

9. VNH

VNH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Thank you for your kind words.

I know that many of us who decide to have chickens will probably have to do the same someday.

I grew up on a small farm with animals that were eventually meant for the table. All of the chickens were free to roam during the day. When I was about 5, I was attacked by a rooster that promptly became supper that night, so I've never been overly fond of roosters.

10. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I killed my first EE for the same reasons. My grandmother did that job herself whenever necessary. I figured I could too. Good for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by