I know 4 sq. foot per bird, but...

ncCHICKS

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Hope Mills, NC
I stink at math stuff. When I figure it up I get 2...

I am building a 8ft X4ft X4ft coop.

I want all standard hens, no roos

How many chickens will fit nicely? I'd like to keep a small 10x6 run attached full time, but about 4 hours a day, they will have supervised free range. Prefered not more than 5 chickens.

Sorry, must have clicked too much, I thought it was from where I edited it, but oops. Is there a way I can delete the second one?? Once again sorry,

Oh and thanks a lot.

Personally I would not go as low as 2 square feet per bird. Look at how big 2 square feet is. Would you like that to be your living space?

I would say 4 square feet is a MIN. and youcan always go bigger.

My two coops are each 4x8, and I would not have more than six hens and a rooster in each coop. I now have four Orpingtons, three hens and a rooster, but I would like to have two more hens for the Orpington coop. My other coop is for two silkies.

If they're going outside everyday, I would go with 3 sq. ft./bird. I do consider the height when I calculate for my birds. More surfaces = more space. They're only in there to roost and lay eggs. I make sure there's ample room to do both of these things. If you're getting snow drifts, you might want more space, so they can stay inside for a week.

Frankly I don't even like 4 sq ft per chicken, in this climate anyhow. There are enough rainy ucky days, and a long enough cold enough winter, that there are lotsa times they just do not WANT to be out. Same might be true in some hot climates if you cannot provide a LARGE area of shady coolth.

Mine have like 8-12 sq ft per chicken INDOORS (plus run), sometimes more, and I would not feel comfortable giving them any less here.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom