i know im perinoid, but what happened when you did it

Mine went to the Main post office....I think because they came in on a Sunday...and the local post office is not open. I had to drive just about an hr to get them, but was SO worth it!

I'm supposed to pick up my birds at the Main P.O. I'm a little worried about it because I never ordered birds thru the mail! I hope they call me early so they're not sitting there waiting .....they won't be chicks, they will be pullets, but still... I'm worried. I can only hope they'll be alright. We'll see.

I ordered mine from Ideal, and they came right to our post office, 2 blocks away. My husband let them know the day before that we were expecting them the next day, and they called us up as soon as they came in.

I suggest you contact the post office you get your mail from, or from where your mail is sent out to your house, and ask them how they handle shipments of live poultry. My post office said that they prefer I pick them up from there, but that they would deliver if I wanted them to. I chose to pick them up. Also, depending on where you live, ie Rural vs Urban, the post office might be very familiar with shipments of chicks. In rural areas, it's a pretty standard occurance (sp), but if you live in the city, you really should contact your Post office.

Our post office will not deliver chicks to the house, they must be picked up there. We notified them a week in advance that the chicks were coming.

Our chicks shipped from McMurray on the day they were hatched, which was a Saturday. They arrived at our main post office hub on Sunday. The main post office hub for us is about 20 miles away, the local post office is 1 mile away.

An employee was working at the main post office hub when the chicks arrived. McMurray had our phone number on the outside of the box, and the postal employee called us to say the chicks had arrived and were peeping up a storm.

He said we couldn't pick them up at the main post office hub, because it was not officially open for mail pick up. However, he could meet us near the main post office hub with the chicks, OR we could wait until Monday and pick up the chicks at our local post office.

We elected to meet him near the main post office hub, so we got our chicks on Sunday.

We live in an agricultural region and getting poultry and bees in the mail is not an unusual occurance. On Monday morning our local post office called us to say they were concerned because the chicks hadn't arrived.

McMurray ships birds but they have no control over how the post office handles the shipment. I would suggest contacting both your local post office and the main post office hub.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, why is it the Post office is willing to open up for folks to pick up their bee packages, but not their chicks. . . curious. . .
lau.gif

Mark

I have always picked up my chicks form my local post office. They usually call me when they arrive. I live in a really small town so this might be the reason. I work at a feed store in the summer and the local post office calls them too when their chicks arrive. I'm not sure what you mean by "main" post office, do you mean the larger regional PO where the mail goes first? If that was the case I'd have to drive over an hour to Albany!

They came to our Local post office, I got a call first thing in the morning to come and get them.

Quote:
Hey! where abouts are you? I live about 2 hourse away from Albany! Used to live in albany about 4 years ago!

Washington County, an hours drive north of Albany on the NY/VT border.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom