I know it was the best and she was suffereing, but......

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
I feel so bad. The one chick that was not looking so well when they were finally found has only continued to get weaker and weaker. Not eating, not drinking, wobbly-barely can stand. She had been slowly dying. This morning, she was so weak that the other chicks were trampling her as they ran around. I knew I had to stop the slow suffering dying. But I still feel awful about doing it. Especially since just as I was doing it, she peeped. Only time at all since she arrived that she made any sound. I know it was what was best for her, and to let her continue would have been cruel. But I feel so horrible.

I hate it when the rational side and the emotional side can't get in sync.

Last edited:
Oh, I am so sorry. I know it had to have been hard, but as you said she could not keep going on that way. May I ask what happened?
hit.gif

It is so much harder IMO to cull a chick. I had to cull one of the first chicks I ever hatched due to a really bad cross beak. It was not pleasant. I knew it was the right thing to do as well but it was hard to do. Lots of
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
to you. This is probably the hardest part of having chickens.

Quote:
She was only a few days old. I got some from a hatchery and the postal service lost them for a day or so. When the chicks were finally found, they were all alive, but two of them looked very weak and not good. One came out of it, but this one never did drink at all, and never touched food. I tried to get her drink, but she just stood off by herself, and was weak enough that she would wobble really bad. That was Thursday, by this morning, she was actually not even standing, and as the other chicks ran around, they were trampling her. When I first went in to check on them this morning, I didn't see her, and it was not until they all moved that I found her. She was mashed under the pile of them. (too weak to stand and it was as if they didn't even know she was there being walked or stood on). I picked her up and knew there was no way she could recover. (I pretty much expected that she would not make it, but wanted to give her a day or so and see). She basically has been slowly dying since getting here. I could not leave her just linger and continue to starve, etc. So I ............ too hard to put into words.

Back
Top Bottom