I know its a Game but what kind??

So is it just a plain phoenix?? Is there a specific blood name??

One more question. I put him with a RIR Banty. What kind of chicks will they have. This might sound kind of silly but I am new to breeding. Do the chicks come out crossed?? Or do I get some phoenix and some RIRs in a clutch.

This is the RIR Banty when she was broody. Out of a clutch of 6 we had 5 chicks.
p_00021.jpg

Three of the chicks came out looking like this. Two of them are females and one male. They hatched like two and a half months ago. One of these had white stripes and know he is looking more and more like his daddy.
p_00066.jpg

The other two looked like this one. One came out to be a male and another female.
p_00059.jpg

So are phoenix's agressive and territorial with other males?? Should I seperate them as they get older??

He looks like a Golden Phoenix to me. I wouldn't describe them as aggressive or territorial, to me, it's all in how you raise them. My two Phoenix boys get along great, I actually have 5 roo's all together and they live in harmony (I like roo's better, IMO). By the looks of it, you probably won't have problems. Especially since he appears to be so keen to being held and whatnot.
smile.png
Socialization always helps.

Again, I spoil my chickens dirty rotten >.< So, you might want to get a second opinion. Lol. I tried.

Meh... He doesn't look like a pure phoenix to me. I still think he has something else, maybe some American gamefowl. He is definitely some part phoenix with those nice long saddle feathers.
big_smile.png
Very beautiful.

Your babies will be a mix between the two breeds. More than likely they will favor the dad in coloring, tails will be longer than a RIR, but not as long as dad's.

Quote:
I would say for sure American gamefowl if not anything else due to the pea comb. Phoenix only come in single comb and will only have a pea comb when crossed with American game, Sumatra, Cornish, or the oriental gamefowl breeds. Phoenix were always more slender in the body in my opinion too, and he is still a young bird just barely having buttons for spurs. He still has a little more to grow in both height and width i think.

And yes the chicks would be crosses
big_smile.png

Last edited:
WOW!! Thanks a bunch to everyone. I have really learned a lot. I was looking up pictures of phoenix and American game online and I noticed that Phoenixs do have long tails. I guess I forgot to mention that I trimmed his tail because he would get it dirty. His tail does get pretty long. So maybe he could be a cross between American Game and Phoenix then. Anymore opinions are still welcome.

Cant wait for the little guys to keep growing.

Here he goes with his tail long. As you can see it would drag around and get kinda dirty. I think the longest they got before I cut them was a bit longer than this. Is it wrong to gut them??? Am I taking away from its original beauty?? Or is it no big deal. I'm actually thinking about getting into the breeding business so any opinions are very helpful. What makes a cock more valuable??

p_00127-1.jpg

Quote:
Cutting the tail feathers won't hurt em, it may make him less pretty.. But it won't hurt. As for becoming a breeder i say research the breeds you like, purchase from breeders with good quality, take care of them properly, and also study the breed standards. You don't really have to show them to sell them, but you will have to breed for the standard and let people see them who maybe do show.. Then your name will start to spread.

The main thing people who plan to become breeders need to consider is quality. Some say "Well i don't show, so i don't really need to focus on quality." or they just don't even think about the quality because chickens are just chickens to them. But the way i look at it is, people who buy from breeders expect to be getting better birds than a hatchery, and you also don't need to be spreading around "junk" when there are rare breeds out there that need to be truly preserved. And the only way to preserve the actual breed is to breed for the type, health, etc (IE. quality).

Back
Top Bottom