I know it's a hen but what breed?

CharterChick

Songster
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
My Coop
My Coop
I got her from my sister. She thought having one chicken in her backyard would be fun but it was lonely and cried a lot! She's a consistent daily layer.

Here she is.

This is her egg

What's the difference between a red sex link and a Rhode Island Red?

Red Sex Links are hybrids produced by crossing a red gene rooster (either a Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire Red, or Production Red) with a silver gene hen (either a White Rock, Rhode Island White, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Delaware, or Light Sussex). The resulting offspring can be sexed by color from hatching. Male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish. Red Sex Link hens are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization.

Red Sex Links are hybrids produced by crossing a red gene rooster (either a Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire Red, or Production Red) with a silver gene hen (either a White Rock, Rhode Island White, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Delaware, or Light Sussex). The resulting offspring can be sexed by color from hatching. Male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish. Red Sex Link hens are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization.

P.S. Visually you can tell an adult Red Sex Link hen from an adult Rhode Island Red hen because the Red Sex Link hen, though reddish, will have white underfluff which is missing in the RIR hen.

X3 on Red Sex Link hen. They are egg laying machines. :eek:)

She is just over 4 months old and lays an egg every day of the week! I told her she can take a day off if she wants since the others lay only 4-6 eggs a week lol

Back
Top Bottom