1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i know its been asked before but.....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ukchickengirl, Sep 29, 2007.

1. ukchickengirl

ukchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

what do you all use on the floor of your coop and in the nest boxes? my coop isnt easy to clean out (not as huge as all yours due to garden space [​IMG] ) so woodshavings might be difficult, any ideas?

Thanks

H x

2. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    How big is your coop?
    We have a pretty small coop and use wood shaveings.
    Our floor is covered with tile to make it easier to clean and we have a rear door that opens down for cleaning it out, it's pretty easy.
    We also pile the wood shaveings pretty thick so that the actual floor never really gets soiled by the chickens.

Do you have any photo's of your coop?
    Maybe there are some simple modifications that could be made that would make it easier for you.

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I did try the deep litter method!
    (for warmth because it gets cold here)

but, each time I added a chicken I had to completely change litter

this was a big dirty job :thun

some people on the forum use sand and liked it the idea [​IMG]

I picked up 1/2 ton with pick-up truck (@ concrete mixing place) $9 ((much cheaper than wood shsvings))

so I switched over to sand 2 weeks ago and I love it! [​IMG]

The DE mixes in so good, go in with a kitty litter spoon and clean up anything not in the roost pit! I am still looking for mini manure fork for pit (used for miniture horses) I also heard folding rake!

I also add Sweet PDZ (witch is to freshen horse stalls) mixes so easy to sand!

For warmth I will just add a sheet of wood on the north wall!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by