I know it's too early... but do you think I have 4 boys???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CluckySam, Dec 24, 2010.

1. CluckySam

CluckySam Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi everyone,

My four Australorp chicks were hatched under their broody Hamburg adoptive mum on November 7-9. I have a feeling that they are all boys [​IMG]. I know that it is technically too early, but they are very slow feathering, their combs are growing, and three of them are turning red on the comb and around the eyes. One is slightly faster feathering and less red, so I'm pinning my hopes that there might be one girl [​IMG]. I can't keep boys unfortunately (in the 'burbs)...

Any ideas anyone?? I'll try to get more pics, but everytime I get out the camera, they show me their bottoms:plbb!!! Any ideas when I would see saddle feathers if they are boys?

Thanks,

Sam

[​IMG]

2. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Those combs look big for that age, so I'd say 4 boys. Sorry!

3. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I can see see 2 of the blacks being cockerels. Sorry I can't make out the other 2.

I can usually tell by 3-4 weeks of age on my chicks just because their combs turn pink before the girls combs change color and of course the cockerels gets their wattles before the girls too. At least this is what I have observed from my chicks.

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I'm sorry to say but I think everyone else may be right: four boys. It's not just the combs, it's also the stance and length of neck. But I have been wrong, so we will hold onto hope!

5. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Hold on to hope...I am definitely not an expert but I say 2 and 2! Terrri O

6. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    I think 4 boys.......but hey, anything is possible , perhaps.

7. CluckySam

CluckySam Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for your replies, hope you all have a Merry Christmas! Looks like I'll be praying for one of my hens to go broody again!

Sam

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think they're all boys. I believe saddle and hackle feathers start around sixteen weeks or so........of course this varies according to breed.

9. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    looks like 2 and 2 to me...so [​IMG] maybe it isn't quite as bad as it seems. I have had some boyish looking girls, and girly looking boys at that awkward 8-12 week stage. Can't tell much from the pic though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by