I know now what killed my bird. What next?

I suggest a large pen on wheels. Everyday you can move it so your hens will have new grass.
Buy the sun shield.
Hawks will "learn" it is impossible to prey on your flock and come back less and less.
So maybe you will let your flock free range from time to time with a lesser risk.

I was in the yard today, sunbathing 3 feet from the coop, when I saw it. A hawk came over the house, barely visible because it was so high. And then it circled around. And again. And kept coming lower until I could really see the detail on it. Taking no chances, I ran to grab my birds. I must have looked insane hugging six birds in my arms running like a madman across my yard, but they're all safely inside and the hawk took off.

So, that kind of confirms my suspicions. I have two things that are excruciatingly detrimental going on with my flock; one is that my d'anvers are snack size, two is that they're nearly white and stick out like delicious sore thumbs on my green grass. Seeking answers to my problem, the solutions provided have many mixed reviews. A few current topics on hawks suggest owl decoys are worthless, and I am worthless to try and protect them by being in the yard with them. I'm unsure about the efficacy of things that glitter and shine, such as strung up CD's/mirrors, any commentary on this is helpful.

My question is, I watch crows, blue jays and ravens bully the snot out of hawks and eagles on the regular. The aerial catfights are interesting to watch (when you're not worried about your pets becoming snacks). I have never, ever seen an owl attack a hawk. So why are owls even a suggestion as a decoy to deter hawks? Would raven/crow/jay decoys not be better? Has anyone tried this? I don't know that they exist, but I'm crafty and I know I can "nail it" for accuracy if that's what I gotta do.

Besides keeping them penned in for the rest of their lives, is there anything that works? Like, actually works?

Thanks everyone.
I have seen videos of using mason line criss crossed above your paddock area that are reputed to deter hawks.. We have hawks here in Vermont and so far it has been effective. The mason line is just thin nylon string that you can get at the hardware store. we do hang reflective strips from the line as well and so far so good.

Heather you and Sarah Ladd might also a goose to the flock. It is my understanding that the gander is more protective. I have 5 and they alert to everything.
I have a large flock of 39 fairly tame, wild Canada geese that spend their days on my pond. There are a couple of lakes across the road from me and they sleep there for safety. My chickens and little ducks are on the other side of the property from the pond but the geese will eat wherever I feed them and with that many geese, somebody is always eating. I LOVE geese and have wanted to add some for a while now. The flock of Canada geese has become quite large so I worry about adding any more. I also have multiple roosters free ranging and even though they're not with the hens, they're still very protective and work all day at keeping the hens safe.

Nothing, short of a covered run works 100%. Stringing lines across, relatively, narrow, open runs and with fluttering streamers works well, and I never lost a chicken, using that method, to Hawks or Owls. The fox, on the other hand, just leap in and grab and go! BTW, Red Tail Hawks will snatch up small animals within 40 to 50 feet of you! I witnessed a long haired Chihuahua, that belonged to a resident, snatched from their fenced front lawn, while their neighbor and I talked to the homeowner/client, not more than fifty feet away! That was in the early 1980's, when I was a health inspector. It traumatized the lady and I will never forget, the sight of the bird flying away with her little dog! The hawk barely hesitated, as it struck and flew away! I quit "free" ranging completely about 25 years ago, or so. Feeding the wildlife, neighbors cats and dogs, and being angered at the losses, did not make chicken keeping fun or practical. I would of had to kill dozens of pets and protected species of Raptors, since then, otherwise! Far better to keep my flock safe inside of covered runs, for me , the chickens and other creatures. Good luck and best wishes for your Chicken flock!

I was in the yard today, sunbathing 3 feet from the coop, when I saw it. A hawk came over the house, barely visible because it was so high. And then it circled around. And again. And kept coming lower until I could really see the detail on it. Taking no chances, I ran to grab my birds. I must have looked insane hugging six birds in my arms running like a madman across my yard, but they're all safely inside and the hawk took off.

So, that kind of confirms my suspicions. I have two things that are excruciatingly detrimental going on with my flock; one is that my d'anvers are snack size, two is that they're nearly white and stick out like delicious sore thumbs on my green grass. Seeking answers to my problem, the solutions provided have many mixed reviews. A few current topics on hawks suggest owl decoys are worthless, and I am worthless to try and protect them by being in the yard with them. I'm unsure about the efficacy of things that glitter and shine, such as strung up CD's/mirrors, any commentary on this is helpful.

My question is, I watch crows, blue jays and ravens bully the snot out of hawks and eagles on the regular. The aerial catfights are interesting to watch (when you're not worried about your pets becoming snacks). I have never, ever seen an owl attack a hawk. So why are owls even a suggestion as a decoy to deter hawks? Would raven/crow/jay decoys not be better? Has anyone tried this? I don't know that they exist, but I'm crafty and I know I can "nail it" for accuracy if that's what I gotta do.

Besides keeping them penned in for the rest of their lives, is there anything that works? Like, actually works?

Thanks everyone.
I put up DVDs on hay bailing twine about 5 ft. apart in front of the coup and run and have not lost another chicken. It has worked for over a year now.

I have found having plenty of shrubbery around the perimeter of the yard works the best. I also noticed the hawks near us usually hunt more in the morning so I don’t let mine out to free range till mid-day. I have an older hen (white Campine) that has evolved into the rooster of sorts because she doesn’t lay eggs any more but follows everyone around and raises the alarm if anything looks suspicious. They all freeze in place at one noise she makes (sounds like a low cat purr) and they run at top speed with another (a squawk). She is super helpful. The coop run has a roof also and situated in the middle of the yard so if they can’t make it to the shrubs they can run there too. I’m surrounded by woods around my backyard fence so that helps too except in the early evening I can hear owls come in pretty close sometimes. No losses with my rooster hen on guard and shrubs to hide. But no guarantees! I worry all the time and watch for large bird shadows flying over my house and yell at them if they get too close. I’ve tried talk radio when they get especially bad.

Thanks everyone.
I have same issues with hawks. I only let my hens out of the run about 90 minutes before sunset. Keeps them safe and they still get playtime in the yard with much less chance of getting attacked.

When I saw crows harass a hawk away from my chickens and run it completely off, a lightbulb went off in my head: what I needed was a flock of resident crows. Or barring that, a flock of black chickens that look like crows! So that spring I ordered Black Australorp chickens. It seems to have paid off: my 8 BA hens free-ranging with my EE and Brown Leghorn hens apparently look enough like a flock of big black crows on guard that I have not seen or heard a hawk in a year. I will always have BA hens in my flock now!
My flock was all BAs and I lost 15 birds in 1 year due to aerial predators. I wouldn't put TOO much stock in the color being a good camo. I now have Speckled Sussex and Barred Rock along with the BAs and a GOOSE! If you can have a rooster and their noise, you can probably have a goose. I love Lily. She's an African Gray and is super smart. The predators don't quite know what to make of her since she's so much larger than a chicken, moves differently, and is noisy when she sees something unusual. It has been 9 months since getting the goose and I haven't lost any birds.

Back
Top Bottom