I know one of you knows how to do this...Please tell me how!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sparkles2307, Dec 10, 2009.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

I save all my wine bottles. I like to buy pretty ones. I have been saving them for about 18 mo so I have like, 12 of them. Anyways, I want to cut the bottoms off of them so I can make a light fixture for over my dining room table. How would a person go about cutting the bottom off a wine bottle?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:A glass cutter. I would take it to one and not attempt it yourself since you don't have room for error and have never done it.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would get someone to cut them so they could grind the cut end so it wouldn't injure you as you handle it.

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I would take up drinking a lot more wine, so you could practice cutting bottles, Hey it sounds like a good excuse to finish off a couple bottles of wine. [​IMG]

Just a sudgestion, dont drink and cut on the same day, results may be better that way

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Find a shop that sells hand cut glass in your area- they have all the tools, ask how much it would be to help you out on a project.

I had 20 2"*2" mirrors cut once for 2$ that included the scrap mirror and grinding the edges.

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Actually check craft store like Micheals or JoAnnes, they used to stock them, I had one as a kid, cut the top off a couple jars, and a pepsi bottle, then it dissappeared, dont know if I missplaced it, or my parents made it go away before I cut something(possibley myself)
    http://crafts.benfranklin.com/BOTTLE-JAR-CUTTER/M/B0018N6RR8.htm

7. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Quote:LOL Thanks for the tip

8. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:That's cool! [​IMG]

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They sell the stuff to make the glass frosted too! You can take plain wine bottles and make your own designs on them. Been meaning to do that for years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by