I know poultry auctions are risky.....

Jessie_Jazz

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 6, 2010
Suffolk UK
Got these 3 today at an auction. They were labelled chocolate partridge and silver laced wyandottes, do you think that's right?
To my very untrained eye I thought it was worth a gamble that they were girls.....What do you all think?

I'm sorry but no. I don't think any of them are what you think they are. The two "chocolate partridge " are both male. The black one looks like it could be a pullet but it's not silver laced. She looks like a ayam cemi cross she's so dark everywhere

ooops! Oh well, was fairly certain the black one wasn't a silver laced. I have no idea on age....they're a bit bigger than my 6 week old bantam chicks which I hatched myself (from uncertain eggs....poultry auction again!) but other than that I have no clue... I've checked them all over and they all seem very healthy but....thinking at least one of those 2 brown ones is a boy
idunno.gif

ooops! Oh well, was fairly certain the black one wasn't a silver laced. I have no idea on age....they're a bit bigger than my 6 week old bantam chicks which I hatched myself (from uncertain eggs....poultry auction again!) but other than that I have no clue... I've checked them all over and they all seem very healthy but....thinking at least one of those 2 brown ones is a boy
idunno.gif

They are puzzling. The solid black one has dark skin so must be some sort of mix! I've never heard of chocolate partridge. Would like to see pictures when they are older.

Jessie_Jazz, I don't think the "choc partridge" are mixed breeds. Looks like they have been specially bred for someone's project and are rose-combed Wyandottes.

Hmmmm.... At least all the guessing will give me something to think about for the new few weeks! I'll keep you posted.
While everyone is being so helpful; this motley crew is the others I was telling you about, the eggs I hatched. They are clearly a very mixed bunch but can anyone hint at what breeds are in the mix. So far all I can guess is barred rock...perhaps and light sussex. They came from small white to brown eggs labelled fertile bantam eggs. I am pretty certain I have at least 4 boys but its so hard to tell when they're such a jumble of breeds! They are 6 weeks old. Some of them you can probably just about see (pic three might be best) have got this sort of 'tufty' bit on the top of their heads, like a polish but not so profuse - sort of cone shaped. If that is useful!

Last edited:
Hmmmm.... At least all the guessing will give me something to think about for the new few weeks! I'll keep you posted.
While everyone is being so helpful; this motley crew is the others I was telling you about, the eggs I hatched. They are clearly a very mixed bunch but can anyone hint at what breeds are in the mix. So far all I can guess is barred rock...perhaps and light sussex. They came from small white to brown eggs labelled fertile bantam eggs. I am pretty certain I have at least 4 boys but its so hard to tell when they're such a jumble of breeds! They are 6 weeks old. Some of them you can probably just about see (pic three might be best) have got this sort of 'tufty' bit on the top of their heads, like a polish but not so profuse - sort of cone shaped. If that is useful!

Sorry! Pic four, I mean

I'm sorry but no. I don't think any of them are what you think they are. The two "chocolate partridge " are both male. The black one looks like it could be a pullet but it's not silver laced. She looks like a ayam cemi cross she's so dark everywhere
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom