I know silkies are hard to sex, but can you try this one?

Smartie_Pants

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Madisonville, KY
I got this at a farmers flea market and they said it was a hen. I just don't think it is. I've posted this as part of a post with many other chickens I needed info about but only a few people said anything about the silkie, so I'm posting again.

Picture791.jpg

Picture804.jpg

In the first pic, his afro looks a little spikey, but it was just wet. The second is the more accurate in that way. And would you agree that it is about 3-4 months old?

Also, the toenails are over an inch long. Do I need to trim them or will free ranging and scratching wear them down naturally? They look like talons at this point.

Last edited:
I'm no expert on sikies, but it looks like an an adult hen. Yes, trim the nails being careful not to cut the quick. Look for the vein like a dogs nail to avoid it. She is pretty.

Looks like a hen to me also. You can usually tell by their comb. Hers is small and she looks like a mature hen.
One sure way is to wait till it crows!
lol.png

I have been fooled a time or two....

hen, the boys have longer "hair" that curves around the back of their heads. Plus she just looks feminine, very ladylike. The boys also have a generally taller stance, more abundant feathering on their neck, longer hackle feathers on their neck and back. At least mine do.

I have a white silkie roo, but he's gone blind and is having alot of trouble at the moment, this new one just doesn't look the same as the hen I had two years ago.

Also, the toenails are over an inch long. Do I need to trim them or will free ranging and scratching wear them down naturally? They look like talons at this point.

She looks like a hen and no way would she have long curled toe nails if she was only 3 or 4 months old.

I doubt if anyone can give you an estimate of her age without really just quessing, once they've passed the pullet stage it's really difficult.​

i have three hens that look just like that. i call them my "utility grade" ladies. They are egg laying and brooding fools, hardy and able to hold their own in a flock. She doesn't look real old to me, probably several good years still left in her. Her toes are not heavy looking and thick skinned like my older girls (not to be confused with leg mites.) My older girls just have coarser looking feet than the young ones, and heavier, stronger toenails. Good score.

Thats a pretty little breeder qaulity henny, meaning she's not show or hatchery qaulity, (mine arnt either), i would say she's at least six months old, i have a white hen that looks almost like her, but mines a short fat fluffy ball (see my personal page for pictures). i would cut the nails, but be very careful, the longer the nails grow unattended, the farther the quik grows into the nail- i have two rescues w/ this problem, i had to buy that pet trimmer pro thing just to feel safe clipping them. I hope that little lady makes the blind roo ver happy
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom