I know this has nothing to do with birds but I need help!

neenerbutt92

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Ok. I have a pot belly pig....I'm sure someone on here has some a breeds them. Anyway, I believe she is pregnant, can a breeder on here tell me how I can tell for sure that she is pregnant? I would appreciate that sooo much!

Thank you!

I've actually tried making and account there. It won't let me.
hu.gif

I don't know for sure and you probably will get an answer when the thread is moved to the right place, but as a guess, I would think a vet could do an ultrasound. That is how I confirmed my horse was pregnant. I even got to see the heart beat since it was over 60 days. It was totally awesome to see (only got more excited about seeing my children's heart beats)!

You could probably get an ultrasound or a blood test from a vet. Of course, those cost money, so if you're not up for that, I'm not sure how to tell on a pig. You can try asking around at www.backyardherds.com also, there's some pig people over there.

Only advice I can think of right now is has her behaviour changed at all? , what about her appitite and are her teats swollen? Does she seem swollen in the belly - >? I am thinking on my feet here. Wish I could help you more. I've only ever done human pregnancy not Pigs but we want pigs one day? Anyhow best of luck. I just know pigs and human make up is alike so maybe the same kind of stuff goes on. - ???????? I mean if she is moody wont let you near her, swollen up in the teats and belly then probably she is pregnant? -
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
??? Oh I wish I could help more - ????

Oesdog

Hey, the ultrasound post was the first thing that I thought of. However if you ABSOLUTELY can't afford that sort of thing......I would imagine that many small living things moving around inside your girl's womb would start kickin up a storm towards the end. Have you ever watched a pregnant cat who is about to pop? Their bellies look like an alien is trying to pry it's way out by any means necessary. You can feel the babies moving around too if you lay a hand gently on their side. I imagine that there would be unusual weight gain and "nesting" behavior. Just try to stay tuned in to your pets behavior. Good luck!

This might be totally stupid, but I wonder if an over the counter pregnancy test would work? Humans and pigs are extremely similar in their biochemistry, which is one reason that pigs are used in medical research, why pig insulin can be used in humans, why certain pig tissues are harvested for replacement tissues like heart valves for humans. Maybe the two species are similar enough in the pregnancy hormones excreted in urine that it might work?

I'm not worried enough to do an ultrasound. I just wanted to know a little ahead of time so I can get a place made for her and the babies so they don't get too cold. Her teats do seem larger than usual, belly is huge even though I've had her on a diet (I'm starting to feed her a little more just in case she is pregnant), and you bottom is also swollen.

Back
Top Bottom