I know this is not right.

them chickens

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 15, 2013
Washington
any ideas what is going on? Abdominal is all swollen n soft, vent is dry.not up n moving around like pushingn iI can't feel any thing in side.

probably egg bound. I'm not an expert, but I did have a hen named Katie that he bottom kind of looked like that when she was egg bound. I can't remember what all I did to help her lay the egg, but it did help I think.. because we took her back to the coop later. She is dead now.. I'm not sure what happened to her that she died, but she never got egg bound again.

I do remember soaking her in our big sink with just warm water I think.
I might not be right, but I think your hen is egg bound.

My leghorn was all swollen up like that 3 days ago, she was not eggbound (had just laid). She did have discharge, put her on antibiotics and the swelling is gone as of now. No clue what caused it.

Poor baby.
If she IS egg bound, soaking in really warm water will help relax the rear. I've only had one hen get egg bound on me, but she did it 3 times! She was also a leghorn, and had a habit of laying double yolk eggs.
The first time I put a small syringe (1mL) inside the vent until I could 'feel' the egg, and I injected a little bit of olive oil inside to help move things. She laid her egg with no problem after that, but became egg bound again a few weeks later, and after trying MANY different things, I ended up having to 'collapse' the egg to get it out. She did manage to lay the crushed egg shell afterwards....
She was egg bound for the 3rd time a few months later, except this time no matter what I did, I couldn't get it out... She ended up dying, and I culled all of her daughters.
Double yolkers are fabulous. LOVE them. But I hate the possibility of a hen becoming egg bound, which happens more so with double-yolk laying hens than with any other... I will take normal eggs and healthy hens, over those amazing double yolkers, and the possibility of loosing my hen to egg binding.
Besides, I have ducks now to give me those HUGE yolks we all love so much! :)

Back
Top Bottom