I know this one is probly going to die... BUT!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SarahFair, Jun 23, 2010.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    So last hatch I had 2 that hatched with unaborbed yolks that busted and they died.
    Well this time around another one hatched like that. Not wanting it to bust on the bottom of the bator and spoil everything else I took it out. I tried gently putting it back in but no luck. It had started drying out on the outside so I laid the on its back in a 1/2 cut egg carton and covered the yolk with a paper towl to keep it moist.

Anyone ever have luck with these?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Well I had a chick that my husband pulled out her yolk sac and we cut it off. I would not try to put it back in. I would also say let it dry and shrivel and it will fall off. Give it some organic plain yogurt with scrambled eggs with egg shell and some starter crumbles. It should be fine. mine survived and acts completely normal. Here was our post it is my husbands page.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4093483#p4093483

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  3. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    That was hanging by a string. This one is about as round as my pinky! [​IMG]

4. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I had one hatch like that on June 14th hatch and I placed it on a good sized piece of egg shell and the chick absorbed its yolk. Be careful though because with mine the leg almost got sucked up with it and I pulled its leg away from the yolk. The chick took a few days to get its strength to get up and walk but it is doing great now.

I also had some that didn't make it with the yolk not absorbed (they were some that I helped out of the shell). It was a chance I took. I believe they would have died either way but my way I tried to help save them.

Egg carton and a moist paper towel is a good idea. If I ever have the misfortune of that happening again I think I may try that.

Either way I wish you the best of luck and don't give up hope

5. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Thanks!

The chick is still alive as of yet.
    Hope this one makes it

6. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Good luck! We will be rooting for you! Come on chickie, survive!

7. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    It has popped the sac and its slowly draining. The chick is still chirping and moving though

8. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Chick died in the night

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am sorry the chick died. [​IMG]
    I have had a little luck with these kind of chicks, usually by leaving them in the incubator. Though I have had more ducklings survive this than chicks.

10. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Thanks.. But its ok
    Just part of it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by