I know we've talked about this before.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sparkles2307, Sep 22, 2009.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

I am getting antsy to introduce my 25 8-week old pullets to the rest of the flock. How old should they be? I have 2 20-week old roos (HUGE boys) and 4 20-week old BR hens, as well as 2 20-week old batam cochins. My only concern is Belinda-the mean BR hen and Elvis, the OMG-HUGE BO roo. He's really nice but he is way to big to be getting up on even my BR hens....I dont want to think about the damage he'd do to an 8 wk old! So, how old should the lil ones be before I make the introductions?

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I kept my little pullets separated from flocks containing roos until they were nearly laying age. They would freak out really bad when the roosters would try to mate with them before they reached maturity.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Make sure they're all about the same size. That's all I can advise. Good luck!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I always wait until they are all the same size, full grown. Even then I pen them side by side for at least a month before attempting to mix them. Far less bloodshed that way.

Patience! [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd wait another month and a half to two months, at least. They need to be large enough to get away from the adults.

6. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

OK, that was my sneaking suspicion anyways. I will wait. THank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by