I know what I have now!!

Guinea hens tend to be noisy from the time they start "buckwheating" up through their first breeding season. Once they have a mate, they pretty much stay quiet until the start of the next breeding season.
Thank you! I'm still waiting for your book, but I appreciate the insights in the mean time! Rosie is pretty quiet, she just walks around muttering kerpluck. I think it drives her batty when the keets are out; she doesn't really want much to do w/them, but will eye them then run in to check her nest.

My only hens that are buckwheating right now are the ones that do not have mates.

Interesting....

I have 1 that has been "nesting" for the last couple of weeks. I keep checking the two spots she's always in but nothing has happened yet. Maybe mine will stop screaming at me when they pair up 😂

I think guinea fowl are awesome, and I am thinking, maybe next summer...

I got mine at a day old in May. It was already hot and humid here and it made it so much easier so that I didn't have to worry about keeping them warm. I had a light for them anyway but they hated it. I definitely agree with starting in the summer.
It also gives you a lot of time to ask questions and read everything there is to read because it'll never be enough. LOL

Back
Top Bottom