I know what it is, do you?

He looks JUST like some of the Buff Orpington x Barred Rock roosters I hatched last year.

The mom obviously has barring (*thinks of all of the possible breeds with barring*). Barred Rock... Delaware... Cuckoo Maran... Barred Holland... California Grey... Barred Old English Game... White Rock...

Definitely a rooster, BTW.
wink.png

White leghorn!

I am not sure why he came out black and barred. He came out of the only white egg in the entire brood, and I watched him come out of the egg.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, she's obviously hiding barring! (which I think is possible in White Leghorns)

Are you sure she's not a California White (California Grey x White Leghorn)? Has she ever had any black speckles when she was a chick and/or adult?

His mother is an ideal hatchery 236 white leghorn. she was pure yellow when she was a fluf ball, her first feathers had some specking in them. As an adult she has one black feather on the underside of her wing, otherwise pure white. As far as the crooked toes, I believe it is genetic. I got a group of 15 Delawares and 15 alstralorps as my first foray into chicken raising, about half of the Delawares had crooked toes and none of the alstralorps did at all.

here is the mother when she was about 3-4 weeks old.
leghornchick.jpg

Well - at least I got the fact that one of the parents was white and the other one was not black
wink.png
Cool - I love posts like these!

Back
Top Bottom