I know what it is, do you?

cutlass1972

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
I would never guess what mix this bird is if I did not watch it come out of its egg, I want to see if anyone else can. Whomever guesses the gender and breed mixture of this bird gets and E-cookie.

Some "givens"

1. it comes from 2 pure pred birds
2. it is the same age as the others behind it in the pic
3. yes I know it has 2 crooked toes
IMAG0242.jpg

It's a mutt, possibly a sex-link. . . . Honestly there are few breeds commonly available to the US with that color. Very few. And those few have certain traits I believe he doesn't have.

But he is very cute!
smile.png

Oh I believe it. I have a White Orp that came out of a pair of pure BOs. See my thread mystery chicken. I believe it kinda looks like a barred rock of some kind. If I win can my cookie be chocolate???
lau.gif

Whatever your chick is, there's actually no Orpington in there. Orpingtons have white legs, which are dominant, and will pass down to the chick. This chick here has what looks like yellow or slate legs.

Ok - I'm going to guess that because you said you were surprised about the chicks color that none of the parents were barred - so that leads me to conclude that one of the parents is either a recessive white or blue (blue can sometimes hide a barring gene). The bird has a single comb, so both the parents must be single combed. There are no feathers on the legs so neither parents can be pure for feathered legs. I do not know what color the legs are from the picture - but I would have to agree they do look yellowish or possibly slate that has been diluted down by the cuckoo gene. Both of these genes are recessive, which would mean neither of the parents could have been white legged. From all the standards I can think of that have single combs and slate legs, I can think of Australorps and Jersey Giants and Javas and those with yellow legs would have to include New Hampshire, RIR, Plymouth Rock, Hollands and Delawares. I am ruling out all birds with a barring gene and that are rare, which leaves me with the following as potential parents:
Australorps, Jersey Giants, New Hampshire, RIR, Plymouth Rock (not barred)
Looking at his body he looks like he could be dual purpose but he is very young and it is difficult to tell. I cannot tell what color his earlobes are at this young age either, but they are looking like red earlobes - which pretty much rules out all of the Mediterranean class of poultry. It appears that there is a hint of red in his shoulder patches (could this be a reflection from the feeder?), and his barring is a bit murky on the back, which suggests that one of his parents is not an extended black carrier (but if one of the parents is white - the white parent could be the culprit). Since the chick is a male - it is impossible for me to tell whether it was the father or the mother that carried that "secret" barring gene.

I am going to go with he has yellow legs and eliminate Australorps and Jersey Giants off my list. Just a guess.

Based on my limited background information I am going to hazard a guess: White Rock X New Hampshire

Kristen

Back
Top Bottom