I know where my eggs have gone

swimmer

Songster
9 Years
Aug 17, 2010
Utah
What I have suspected is true. At least I think it is. A few of my girls started laying a few weeks ago. I was getting two a day. One green, one brown. Every day or so I wasn't getting a brown one. It's been about 4 or 5 days now since I've gotten a brown egg. I firgured she just stopped for some reason. But today I was checking the nest box and found yolk on the straw. I'm assuming it's from the brown eggs. The green ones aren't eaten since it's always in the box first thing in the morning, but I'm guessing the brown layer is later and I'm not home to go out there and snatch it up. Any tips on how to break this habbit? I cleaned out the nest boxes, and put some golf balls in there so if they try to peck, they'll get a surprise. They aren't out to free range lately with the two feet of snow on the ground and all the hawks in the area. So they are confined to their run and coop, but have more than plenty of room. But they sure do miss their free range time. Any tips??

Hang a cloth over the nest box to darken the interior. Hopefully the egg eater will be unable to see the egg in the darkened environment. Are you providing oyster shell or calcium supplement? The eggs may be soft shelled and breaking upon being laid.

Thanks, I'll try hanging a cloth. Will they still go through/under it to get to the box? I do provide oyster shell and the brown layers shells were hard.

Quote:
I agree. I've also heard of people here blowing out an egg and filling it with mustard. Don't know if it works or not, but I've seen posts here about it.

When I put the golf balls in their nest boxes, there was a whole lot of "talking" going on. Guess they didn't like my idea of a treat for the day...

Try to give them a treat for the day that will keep their bellies full. Then if they're not hungry, maybe they won't try to eat them. When we give ours cooked oatmeal, it fills them up so much they can't finish it all. We also give them other treats like green bean casserol, cut up apples, pumpkin pie, yams, corn (cracked, cooked, on the cob), bananas, etc. We avoid meats. Not sure if they can eat meat, but if they can... I don't want them to get a taste for it. I also give them scrambled eggs which they love. The other day I gave them macaroni and cheese and they were digging into it like there was no tomorrow. And spaghetti. So basically, they get fruits, veggies, scrambled eggs, and some pastas. I also make sure to give them grass when I can. There's a lot they can eat. So try and keep their bellies filled and maybe that will help. Good luck!

I had a hen who ate everyone else's eggs but not her own. I tried EVERYTHING. I put a plastic egg in the nests, I gave her calcium, I isolated her, but she was hooked. she even used to stand and wait outside the nest box for my other hens to finish laying so she could eat the egg. so She eventually found a new home.
sad.png

Cavendish Chickens said 'We avoid meats. Not sure if they can eat meat, but if they can... I don't want them to get a taste for it. '

I'll guarantee they already eat meat, you just don't realize it. Crickets, grasshoppers, snakes,and frogs are all meat....

I'll try and give them their "treats" in the morning before they lay and hopefully they won't be hungry for fresh eggs. I also read on another site to give the hens a bowl of milk to drink. Not sure why, but I'll try that too.

Back
Top Bottom