I learned something today about my rabbits.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by OPIE, Nov 6, 2008.

1. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Well, as some of you know I am new to raising rabbits, I made a good deal on 7 rabbits, 1 buck and 6 does. Well today I was going to do some repairs on a cage that had one nice little New Zealand doe in it, so I figured what the heck, I will put her in the cage with the older new zealand doe for a few minutes while I fix her cage. My youngest daughter (10) was standing there watching "her" rabbits as I made the changes and walked off to start working on the cage, everything was fine for about 2 minutes, then............"DAD THE RABBITS ARE FIGHTING!!!!!!! " yup you guessed it, the older "doe" was given the younger one some "lovin"!!! [​IMG] and there was my daughter sitting there with front row seats. [​IMG] well anyway, we had the discussion about rabbits and know shes ok with that, but man am I surprised. I am checking all my rabbits now to see just how many bucks and does I realy DO have...[​IMG]

2. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Was it a male? Sometimes they are showing dominance when they do that, but obviously don't do the whole falling over thing.

3. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Yup, it was a male.. Checking the rest of them, this is the only other male I have. so know 2 males and 5 does. Not bad.

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I know that this one was a buck, however does will mount other does as well too. When they want bred they'll pretty much mount anything.

5. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    I have even had a doe mount a buck after he was done!! so of course I pulled them both out and did the SCF (sex change fairy) check nope it was a doe mounting the buck.

6. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Quote:Thats what you think!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This time next month you'll have a bunch more, only smaller and not as hairy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by