1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I learned something today....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lollipop, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

I`ve been raising and breeding fowl for 51 years and have always believed that it is imposible to determine the fertility of an egg by looking at it. While it is true that the egg must be opened, thereby eliminating any chance of hatchability, the following link illustrates that fertilization can be determined and will therefor be likely in other eggs from the doner pair. My thanks to MissPrissy for calling me on the statement I made to the contrary. Old dogs can indeed learn new tricks.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/160/breakout-analyses-guide-for-hatcheries

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    [​IMG] None of us are ever too old to learn something new. How many eggs have you cracked to look for the blastoderm ring? lol

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I probably never will. I breed fine exotic oriental gamefowl and hardly ever eat their eggs. Probably would choke me up to break one. LOL

6. greggy

greggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    Every time we break eggs in the frying pan I look for fertility.

7. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a great help.... thanks for sharing it.

8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Last week I showed my dd how to check eggs for fertility. I told her that sometimes you have to turn the yolk over, gently, to find the blastoderm. Its really cool.

chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by