I live in Jacksonville NC

Chick05: I have never had a need to lime out here, maybe your soil is a bit different but I say this so that you know to test and see. Id hate for you to waste money.. The ground is so rich that all I have ever done is manure and landscape fabric. I put mulch on top just to keep the darned slugs off my veggies. I had a 12x12 garden last year and pulled over 200 lbs of tomatoes and another 200 in cucumbers.I probably got a total of 500 lbs of veggies off that tiny thing last year. I will probably be tilling next weekend and transplanting on the 28th. According to the farmers almanac, that is the safe day. If you are doing peas, I might suggest that you get a tarp or an overhang that you can control. Last year my peas died by June due to the rain. They drown. This year I am expanding greatly.

I also live off of Burgaw. Maybe we should all do a lunch some weekend. It is looking like my coop may take even longer with this miserable weather we are having. I am hoping that it can be finished on Sunday, then I can start shopping around for RI Red teenagers... or New Hampshire Reds.

Oh wow yes we should, we are all out in the middle of no where lol. I hate when a project takes longer then expected. We just got our first two RIR and they are feisty little gals. I am interested to see how the will be when they get larger, they are some of our first full sized birds. I hope your project goes as planned so you can bring home your babies!

Seems like there is few of us that are out in the boonies together.
wee.gif
Seems like having chickens out this way is pretty common. So glad we are going to have good weather this weekend, I cant wait to finally finish our coop and start the garden.

Anyone here have some chicks that are waiting to go out. Our girls will be 3 weeks on thrusday and with this on and off weather I was wondering if we may have to wait longer than the normal 5-6 weeks to put them out. When do yall expect to put yours out?

Finally! It is functional! Just the trim to finish so it looks pretty. The windows fold up from the inside.

Last edited:
Thank you! I am so thrilled. After reading up a little more, I decided to go with Barr Rock. I have six bitties in a bathtub just living it up. I have no idea how many cockerels or pullets I have, so I guess time will tell. I have been reading up on them and better eyes than mine could probably tell me what is what. I do believe that I will get six more just to be on the safe side and make sure I have at least four hens.

I love my Barred Rocks they are my sweetest chicks even though my buffs are starting to give them a run for thier money. :)

Where did you get these lil ones, they are so fuzzy and cute! I think I have seen some available on the Barnyards By The Sea FB group too.

We got ours from B and K Feed Store in Burgaw, they were sexed and vaccinated. He is all out of chicks right now but you can put your name on a list and he will order them for ya.

Heres my Barred Rocks now at 4 weeks :) They are awesome.

Back
Top Bottom