I Live on the 11th floor, do chickens have suicidal tendencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTH..... chickens living in a high rise building?! Now, that's the first! Maybe if it was on the very top like with how them hipsters have little rooftop gardens, I can possibly see having chickens there...... but in an apartment/condo?!! Iz u KraZy?!!!!

Chickens will be fine on a balcony. I kept 3 chickens on a 5th floor balcony as a kid. They jumped off all the time and were fine. My dad's office was on the second floor and he would see them flapping outside his window on their way down and yell at us to go catch them. If we were at school my dad would have to run outside and chase them and carry them back in.

First I want to thank @SteveMcL for starting this thread. I had a few good laughs reading some of the reactions.

Second I invite Steve to respond once more. I believe he was seriously thinking of keeping chickens on his large balcony. Other people have done it too. But the responses of people without having the experience of keeping chickens on a balcony where quit negative. So I can image Steve got too chicken to respond anymore.

I think it is possible if allowed. If ... and if ..., and if ...

How big a balcony do you need?

Of course its not ideal. But with a few small chickens like Serama or Dutch bantams the smell and the noise is no problem. They make less noise than parrots and dogs.

With cat netting over the balcony and the balcony fence the chickens can't fly/fall out. And hawks cant get in.

Maybe you can even make a lawn area for them.
1581757852340.png

I just like to think in solutions. Rather than thinking ”you need a garden for keeping chickens” Or “my way is the only good way.”

Chickens on large balconies can have a better life than chickens in egg factories that’s for sure. So eggs from a balcony chicken are better eggs than most eggs from the shop.

P.s if you use grass rolls, be sure it is not poisoned.

First I want to thank @SteveMcL for starting this thread. I had a few good laughs reading some of the reactions.

Second I invite Steve to respond once more. I believe he was seriously thinking of keeping chickens on his large balcony. Other people have done it too. But the responses of people without having the experience of keeping chickens on a balcony where quit negative. So I can image Steve got too chicken to respond anymore.

Of course its not ideal. But with a few small chickens like Serama or Dutch bantams the smell and the noise is no problem. They make less noise than parrots and dogs.

With cat netting over the balcony and the balcony fence the chickens can't fly/fall out. And hawks cant get in.

View attachment 2026715

I just like to think in solutions. Rather than thinking ”you need a garden for keeping chickens” Or “my way is the only good way.”

Chickens on large balconies can have a better life than chickens in egg factories that’s for sure. So eggs from a balcony chicken are better eggs than most eggs from the shop.

View attachment 2026715

There certainly have been some interesting responses. But, the OP did state he wanted to let the chickens roam freely and in also asking if they would jump from a 4' railing implies he wasn't thinking of enclosing their habitat at all. Curious that he gives the height of the railing but not the dimensions of the balcony and hasn't replied even once since the original post. So, though the tread has been different and interesting, my money is still on the op being a troll.:D

There certainly have been some interesting responses. But, the OP did state he wanted to let the chickens roam freely and in also asking if they would jump from a 4' railing implies he wasn't thinking of enclosing their habitat at all. Curious that he gives the height of the railing but not the dimensions of the balcony and hasn't replied even once since the original post. So, though the tread has been different and interesting, my money is still on the op being a troll.:D
I think OP novice to the extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom