I lost a chicken to a coyote 😞 What can I do to protect my hens from further attacks?

Starburst

Jesus Loves You
May 25, 2020
Western Washington
Hi, everyone. So, today I lost on of my favorite girls, Saoirse, who was a beautiful Welsummer, to a coyote. I’ve been on vacation on an island, but one of my neighbors saw a coyote run by with one of my chickens in its mouth. The caretaker of my chickens had misunderstood when I was explaining that I usually free-range my chickens, but that she didn’t need to as there are a lot of predators and I wanted to be in the safe side. Well, they unfortunately thought I meant that they should free range the chickens. I’ve had a coyote come and try to get my chickens three times this month. The chickens have always been in their run when this happened, though one time they were startled and flew out of the run, but they all survived. However, today the coyote snagged one while they were free ranging. Aside from no longer free ranging the girls and covering the run, what else can I do to keep the coyotes out of my property and else should I do for my chickens safety? Thanks.

Yeah. That protection from digging is so important. And no one ever seems to warn people that chickens will dig from the inside too. When I first got my chickens I couldn't believe how deep they could dig into my adobe clay soil! But digging in helps them stay cool in my hot climate. I have holes all over my chicken yard this time of year. You have to be paying attention when you're walking around there!

Hi, everyone. So, today I lost on of my favorite girls, Saoirse, who was a beautiful Welsummer, to a coyote. I’ve been on vacation on an island, but one of my neighbors saw a coyote run by with one of my chickens in its mouth. The caretaker of my chickens had misunderstood when I was explaining that I usually free-range my chickens, but that she didn’t need to as there are a lot of predators and I wanted to be in the safe side. Well, they unfortunately thought I meant that they should free range the chickens. I’ve had a coyote come and try to get my chickens three times this month. The chickens have always been in their run when this happened, though one time they were startled and flew out of the run, but they all survived. However, today the coyote snagged one while they were free ranging. Aside from no longer free ranging the girls and covering the run, what else can I do to keep the coyotes out of my property and else should I do for my chickens safety? Thanks.
Never get a run without a run cover. I’m sure you’ve heard this before but it provides many benefits. 1: the girls can’t fly out and become a meal for a predator 2: Overhead predators can’t get them 3: Lots of shade for the summer months 4: Rain can’t come in and make it muddy or stink up the poop. I’m so sorry you lost your girl, but as I soon as you come home I recommend you make some changes for the safety of your girls/guys

So traumatic to lose a bird you've cared for. I'm so sorry it happened.

If a coyote found a meal, they'll be back. And the memory of that success will probably last a long time as all they have to do all day and all night is feed themselves. I'd stop the free ranging for the foreseeable future and stick to daylight hours when you're there to resume it.

Then make sure your enclosure is secure. If you don't have hardware cloth dug in at least 12" to prevent a breech by digging then it's time to secure the perimeter 12" out. I use 12" concrete pavers for that. Butt them up tight to the enclosure and to one another. A load of heavy rock also works if you have that available.

If you need to add a roof, do that too. They can leap as high as 8'.

So sorry for your loss. Glad you didn't have to see it, at least.

So sorry for your loss, it is so hard when this happens.
In addition to having a really safe coop and run, consider electric fencing or electrified poultry netting to expand their space during the day safely. neither protects from raptors, but will do well for most ground predators.
I also don't have my birds free ranging when there's a farm sitter situation; easier for the caretaker to have the flock in all the time, and safer for the birds. It's too bad that there was confusion about this, so next time have things in writing too.
Mary

Our best defense is our German Shepherd. Alternatively, Livestock Guardian Dogs (great pyrenees & the like) are also great choices to be with the birds 24/7. We have coyotes, bears, and smaller predators as well, but our GSD keeps them off our property. With that being said, the dogs have to be trained or they will be the predator rather than the protector 😬

My land is mostly open pasture. I made rain/shade tables for my pens. I also planted trees in the pens. We get quite a bit of rain especially in the summer here. I have heavy duty netting covering all of tnetting
IMG_20181202_133518.jpg

I am sorry you lost a bird, and especially while you are not present and able to do anything about it yourself. Other than that, I hope you are enjoying your vacation!

Back
Top Bottom