I lost a friend today, my dog. RIP Vega

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bammony, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    I lost my Italian Greyhound today. He was run over by a four wheeler yesterday and we decided to let him go today after xrays showed a crushed pelvis. Vega was in tremendous pain. I was with him as he was put to sleep. I stood there petting his face, crying, as he passed on. We brought him home to be buried. I didn't think I could be there with him as he passed, I thought it would be too difficult. I'm glad I made the choice to be there with him anyways.

He was a great dog and was the family clown. He is SO missed already. Vega's favorite thing to do was sit behind our heads on the couch and lay his head on our shoulder as we typed on the computer. He also loved to sleep under the blankets down at our feet. All 8 of the kids loved Vega because he was so easy to take on walks and he really enjoyed the kids too. He would bring you his old tennis ball and spit it out on your lap and then just stare at you till you threw it for him. I love his bark. He didn't bark often, but when he did I thought it was cute. Vega LOVED going for rides in the truck. He was just our little buddy, and a very good boy. We loved his silly little face.

I'm having a hard time sleeping tonight without him here. Something is definitley missing in our home and family.

Till we meet again Vega.

-Laura

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Hello Laura, my name is Laura. I think you and I are kindred spirites truly. Just a little over an hour ago I had my Saint Bernard euthanized. His stomach had flipped and the vets would not perform the surgery without a deposit. It was around midnight when I brought him in and he was in an emergency situation and needed the surgery now. THere was just no physical way I could get them their money in time.

Anyway, sad, lonely, depressed, missing my boy, I surfed BYC looking for comfort and your post is the first that caught my eye.

I want to say more but I was in so much pain and agony over this I was suffering severe migranes and vomiting. I am very highly medicated right now and can hardly see my fingers move while typing.

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I live in fear of bloat. They should have had your boy in surgery before asking for money. With bloat time is of the essence when dealing with it. I am still heart broken from when we lost the best dog of our lives to bloat. It was so sudden and we just couldn't get her to the vet in time. I have a Komondor that is 11.5 years old now, and i know that soon he won't be with us any more. It is so hard to loose a friend like this. Hugs to both of you.

5. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Bammony, I am so sorry for your family's sorrow. I'm glad you made the decision to be with Vega as he passed on.[​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Laura,

It is so hard to lose a member of your family like that.

I've really missed seeing you around here.

I hope all else is well with you and the kids... and the chickens.

Do you still have your sportsman?

I didn't realize you moved to Salina.

I drove through Salina a couple times in May on my way to Ephraim and back.

Blessings to you

Dar.

7. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    So sorry for your loss

8. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I am so sorry for your loss!

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

10. Lockit

Lockit New Egg

Sep 7, 2010
    Australia
    So sorry for your loss, i think that you made the best decision being with him while he passed [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by