I lost all my peeps :(

mjoal

Songster
12 Years
Oct 25, 2011
West Coast, BC
3 days ago a racoon family got in and killed all my hens. They had all just started laying and 2 of them I had raised from chicks
sad.png
It's really heartbreaking to look out my kitchen window and not see them in their run. We had been locking them in their coop at night and letting them out in the morning, they were in a secure run we thought. It looks like the racoon ripped right though the tough chicken wire we had used. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to get more peeps now or wait a while. It's still a little tough to think about going through this again.

hugs.gif

I am so sorry! I can't even imagine the heartbreak. Give yourself a little time & you should try again. When you do, I would switch over to hardware mesh...it's stronger than chicken wire.

Again...I am so sorry for your sad loss.
sad.png

Very sorry for your loss.....
That said, I hope that you try again... Most will place another layer of fence to protect from predators. I used some field fence I had, & I havent had a problem yet (knock on wood) with coons yet here. Hear coyotes at sundown regularly & I know others are out there. My dogs got a Grey fox recently that was preying on chickens, one at a time (found his carcass too late to tan and keep) .. Coons can be very tough to deter without killing them
Some may use horse fence, cattle panels, hog fence, and other types of fence to reinforce their pens. Some will bury the fence to prevent predators from digging in - I have railroad ties on the inside of my pens to deter them, and rocks.
Need to fix the problem before getting more. Good luck to you

Last edited:
I am so sorry that you lost all your peeps.
hugs.gif
I agree that chicken wire isn't good enough. I would suggest using hardware cloth to secure the run and coop.

That is sad. I would wait till I have the coop and run rock solid safe, without the chicken wire. I've not had any predator problem since I started with my little flock. But I have my coop where nothing can get into the coop. That is unless something chews through the walls.

But by all means, get some more.

I feel so bad for you! We have timber wolves, coyotes, fox, weasel, coon, and many other predators here in Northern Minnesota. My fix? My dog Sho-fur will let not one animal on my land without a resounding bark. She barks, and the chickens hide lol
So, make sure you have protection for your girls, whether it be hardware cloth, electric fencing, or a nice pooch to stand guard... then the heartbreaks come less often
hugs.gif

Oh gee, I hate to hear that! I am so sorry.....Alot of people think chicken wire is strong, but it's only good for holding chickens in, not keeping predators out......Get some hardware cloth and secure your coop and run, and start again! No reason you can't enjoy chickens!

These things happen, and hugs to you!
hugs.gif
:hugs:hugs

Sharon

I'm so, so sorry for your loss...please don't give up! Fix everything up like Fort Knox and get some more girls
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom