I lost another chicken this week!! Help!!

chick_newbie

Songster
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
South Dakota
Over the last 2 months I have lsot 3 chickens. They were all on the older side of my flock as in they were all in the 3 year old range. The first one, a slw, acted strange for about 3 weeks and then the last day would just squat when we entered the coop and died the next day. The next one, a red hen from the neighbor about 2 years ago, died fairly quickly as in she died within a couploe of days of noticing she was acting strange and squatting again like the other one. This last one, california white, was just sick a day before passing.

They have pine wood chips for bedding mixed with DE and we added DE to their food as my DH did some research about possible worms. They have been on the same layer feed from the feed store.

I know the only way to know for sure is to autopsy them but that isn't going to happen, just wanting to get some idea what is going on as I have 16 other chickens in the coop that I am worried about.

So sad.
What is their diet? What are the weather temperatures of late? So many possibilities here. Folks need as much info as you can possibly think of in order to be most helpful....
JJ

They are on layer feed from the feed store and I have a second coop that is fine. The temps only really dropped this past week as we had a quick blizzard for new years and are comeing back above 0. They also have a heating lamp to help keep the coop about 25 to 30 degrees inside.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. SLW, 3 YEARS, IDK WEIGHT RED, UNSURE OF BREED, 3 YEARS, IDK WEIGHT AND CALIFORNIA WHITE, 3 YEARS, SMALLER SIZED BIRD TO BEGIN WITH
2) What is the behavior, exactly. SLW WOULDN'T GO OUTSIDE FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS, THEN WOULD JUST SQUAT FOR A DAY OR SO THEN DIED, RED ONE JUST ACTED DIFFERENT FOR A DAY OR SO, THEN THE SQUATTING AND DIED, CALIFORNIA WHITE JUST GOT SICK ONE DAY AND DIED THE NEXT
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? SEE #2
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? SO FAR THE REST SEEM OK BUT THEN AGAIN I THOUGHT THE SAME LAST WEEK
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. NO INJURIES THAT CAN BE SEEN
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. DON'T KNOW OF ANYTHING OFF HAND
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. THEY SEEM TO BE EATING BUT HARD TO TELL WITHOUT SEPARATING THEM, 15 HENS LEFT IN THIS COOP
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. ALL POOPS APPEAR NORMAL
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? DE, BUT LOOKING AT MAYBE SOMETHING MORE???
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? MOSTLY DON'T WANT TO LOSE MY WHOLE COOP IF POSSIBLE
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use PINE WOOD CHIPS MIXED WITH DE

Back
Top Bottom