I lost Chubby Cheaks yesterday

Ann With A Plan

Songster
Jun 23, 2020
N. Carolina
Well, my little cross beak is laid to rest now. I posted a video and description on youtube, but I'll paste it here.

Sept 4th, I found Chubby sitting under the shelf in the coop after the others ran out. She acted like all she wanted to do was sleep. I wrapped her in a towel on my lap for awhile, and also let her sleep in a box to keep her warm. I thought she was dying. I spoon fed her liquid iron and water and later she seemed to feel better and went back outside with the others. She's walk around and disappear. I'd get worried, but I'd find her relaxing in the sun.

I gave her wet mush, which she liked, and left the container under a box near their water that only she could get to. She was always the first to run out of the coop, and the first to find a sleeping spot between her mates to keep warm at night. That night I picked her up and placed her behind another chicken in one of the nesting areas.

Yesterday morning I let them out and all the chickens (except Chubs) just stood around me outside the door like they were waiting for something. It was obvious Chubby was missing. I found her laying inside one of the boxes on the floor in the corner. I brought her out so the others could see her and they seemed to pay their respects. Apparently sometime during the night she passed away.

Later, the grandkids came over to help bury her in the back, near the soybean field. She is no longer suffering. Her severely crossed beaks made it hard to eat, so she didn't grow normally like the others.

So Sorry for your loss.. I't always hard.I had a twisted beak too. She had a special deep feed box we made for her, also made sure she got extra protein like yogurt. She had a short life as well, she was the smallest, and fell prey to a hawk. My heart broke because we kept an eye on her and that day we didn't. 💔

Back
Top Bottom