I Lost My Cookbook!

urban dreamer

Songster
10 Years
Sep 28, 2009
Sherwood, AR
OH NO! I have been working on my cook book since I was probally 16 and now it has up and vanished! It had nearly 200 something recipes!
hit.gif
I only know a couple by heart and the important ones were so long I don't remember everything they had in 'em! Sooo, it starts allll over again.
th.gif
Dose anyone have a fav. recipe that you could share with me? I had everything from cakes to dip to casseroles and soups. Now I feel like I can't cook anything! I can still boil water and butter a skillet though, if that's any help.
tongue.png

Im really bummed because it had many of my mother's and my grandmother's recipes in it. Even Zach helped me look because he loves my cooking (he was skinny when we first met
wink.png
).

Thanks Ya'll!

What you need is the Official BYC Cookbook. It was just completed in November of 2009.

[I'm sorry about your losing your cherished recipes...]

Last edited:
Those sound great! I am definatly going to try some of those recipes! I do have a theroy on how to get my cook book back- Im gonna go ahead and buy a new and by the time I start to wirte in it, my old one will appear outta nowhere! Works with everthing eles I lose...
hu.gif

Last edited:
Oh, I hope you find it!
hugs.gif

I have a cookbook I started in 1980. It is full of handwritten recipes I collected from family and friends. All the recipes are ones that I asked for after a dinner or weekend visiting.

I thought I lost mine a couple months ago and I tore the house apart looking for it until I found it.

It is one of my most cherished possessions as a lot of the people whose unique recipes are in the book have passed on. Making a meal enjoyed at Mom's or Grama's or a dear friend's houses is a way of revering and enjoying their memories all over again.

Quote:
Thanks. It is probally in my room somewhere. Me and my DH have an apartment crammed into a single room. We live with his mother and three other people. They all pitched in when I said my sushi recipe was in there and I don't know it by heart! My grandmother's mind and memory ain't what it used to be so her recipes are the most important to me.

Oh no!!.. So sorry to hear that.. I would recommend that you start logging them in word docs on your computer? This way you would have 2 copies.. One being your hand written ones
smile.png
Or maybe scan them in after you have written them out. This way, your kids/grandkids would be able to see your writing and it would mean alot more to them!

That's a good idea. Im a better at typing than hand writting anyday, but the hand written cook book felt like I put for heart and soul in it. Like the recipes were that much better becuase I took the time to write them myself. I have a copier at work that I ccould hijack and make copies of recipes as I write them down. Thanks for all of your help guys. I bought a new book yesterday and I hope the old one will get jealous and show up.
wink.png

Quote:
That is what I do...

In "My Documents", I have a folder titled recipes, inside this folder I created new folders with categories like Breads, Cakes, Pies, Main dish-(with sub folders of chicken, beef...and so on). Then I saved this on a thumb drive which I update on the first of each month. Then each recipe is printed out twice...One copy goes into a three ring binder which sits on my bookshelves with my cookbooks and the other copy goes in a pocket folder that I use in the kitchen.

Can you tell that I have had the same thing happen to me years ago? Yea, I'm a little obsessive with my recipes now. Oh I almost forgot...each one of my 4 kids also has a copy of my recipes.

Now here are a few of my favorites.

Stir and Bake Chocolate Cake

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2-cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups flour
3/4-teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4-cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Prepare pan you plan to bake in…round, oblong, cupcake tin, etc.

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.

Add the liquids and stir with a fork just until blended; batter will be fairly thin.

Pour into prepared pans and bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes for cakes or 15 to 17 minutes for cupcakes.

1PanChocolateCupCake001.jpg

1PanChocolateCupCake002.jpg

1PanChocolateCupCake003.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Basic Yellow Cake

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (do not sift the flour)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
Vegetable oil
1 stick butter (not margarine), softened
1-tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350°

Cut wax paper to fit the bottom of (3) 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pans. Spray the pans with cooking spray, place the wax paper in the pans and spray the paper.

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, mixing well.

Measure the 1-1/4 cups of milk in a 2 cup measuring cup….then add enough vegetable oil to bring the liquid up to 1-1/3 cups.

Add the milk/vegetable oil mixture, butter and vanilla to the flour mixture and beat with an electric mixer on medium to medium-high speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed.

Add the eggs and continue beating an additional 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center of cake comes out clean, or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.

Cool cakes on wire racks for 15 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.

Frost as desired.

PerfectYellowCake001.jpg

PerfectYellowCake005.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Judie’s Big Pound Cake
January12,1998

3 c. sugar
3 c. flour
6 eggs
2 sticks butter (softened)
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 tsp. baking powder

Place all ingredients in a LARGE bowl .....
Beat 5 minutes on high speed
Pour batter into large tube or bunt pan (WELL greased) (OR 1/2 sheet pan)Bake 350 for 45 minutes - 1 hour (until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean)

Allow to cool in pan until luke warm. Once removed from the pan, I let it sit on a wire rack and cover the whole thing with a heavy towel, till the next day ... This allows the "crunch" to form. If you flip it onto a plate or serving platter right away, the part that *was* the top (open end of pan) can get soggy.
Dust with powdered sugar

The pan I prefer to use most often (for a Bundt)is an old Nordic Ware 14 cup capacity, very big & VERY heavy. It was my Grandmothers, I don't even think they make it anymore.

It fits perfectly in a 1/2 sheet pan.

As far as the texture ... The best way I can describe it is "velvety" and rich. The top (open end of pan) gets the most delicious crispy little "crunch".

JudiesBigPoundCake001.jpg

JudiesBigPoundCake002.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Snickerdoodles

1/2 cup shortening
1/2-cup butter
1-1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar

Cream sugar and shortening, add eggs beating well after each. Mix dry ingredients together and stir in by hand. Chill at least one hour, or until firm enough to handle.

Form into one-inch balls and roll in cinnamon sugar.

Bake on greased cookie sheet at 375° for 6 to 8 minutes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Molasses Cookies
(Janet’s Grandma’s Recipe)

3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375°

Mix dry ingredients together and set aside. Cream shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy.

Mix in the molasses and beat well. Mix in egg and beat well. Mix in dry ingredients by hand.

Make into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar.
Do not flatten.

Bake for 10 minutes at 375°.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Salmon Patties

1 can Red Salmon
1 egg
1/2 cup mashed potatoes
1 stack of crackers crushed into crumbs
Cornmeal

Make the mashed potatoes and crush the crackers into crumbs.

Drain the juice from the salmon and place the salmon in a bowl.
Mash the salmon with a fork until it is all lose and separated.

Mix in the egg and the mashed potatoes.
Thicken with enough cracker crumbs so that it will hold together when you shape them into patties.

Form the patties and coat them with cornmeal, place in refrigerator until ready to cook. Fry on med. heat in a little oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

You can make these the night before and fry them when you get home from work the following evening.

I make these with leftover mashed potatoes from the evening meal and they are ready to cook for supper the next day.
SalmonPatties002.jpg

SalmonPatties003.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Easy Beef Stroganoff
SUBMITTED to Allrecipes BY: Colleen

INGREDIENTS
· 1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles, cooked and drained
· 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
· 1 onion, chopped
· 1/4-cup butter
· 2 pounds lean ground beef
· 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· 2 cups beef broth
· 1-cup sour cream
· Salt and black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook egg noodles in boiling water until done, about 8 minutes. Drain.

2. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a large skillet, cook mushrooms and onions in 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat until soft; remove from pan.

3. Using the same pan, melt remaining butter. Cook ground beef in melted butter until browned. Mix in flour. Stir in beef broth, and cook until slightly thickened. Add mushroom and onion mixture; stir in sour cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until sauce is hot, but not boiling. Serve sauce over egg noodles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Texas Hash

1 lb lean ground beef
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1-8 ounce can tomato sauce
2 cups water (do not decrease the water)
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 to 2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish.

Brown beef and onions in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When onions are translucent, add garlic and green pepper; cook until green pepper is softened.

Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients. Transfer mixture to the casserole dish; cover with lid or foil and bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes or until rice is done.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Southern Living CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
Makes 8 servings
Top-Rated Recipe, November 2001
Southern Living On-Line
1 (2 1/2-pound) whole chicken, cut up
2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
3 cups self-rising flour (I just use all-purpose flour and add 3 tsp. baking powder)
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/3 cup shortening
2 teaspoons bacon drippings
1 cup milk
COVER chicken with water, and bring to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and next 3 ingredients; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Remove chicken, reserving broth in Dutch oven; cool chicken. Skim fat from broth; bring to a simmer.
SKIN, bone, and coarsely chop chicken. Add chicken, bouillon, and remaining salt and pepper to broth. Return to simmer.
COMBINE flour and poultry seasoning in a bowl. Cut in shortening and bacon drippings with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add milk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
TURN dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 1-inch pieces.
BRING broth mixture to a boil. Drop dumplings, a few at a time, into boiling broth, stirring gently. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring often, for 25 minutes. Prep: 30 min.; Cook: 1 hr., 30 min.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chinese Chicken Spareribs
(When you cook this in the Crockpot, leave out the ½ cup of water.)

2 LBS Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1-2 Tbs. veg oil
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup firm packed brown sugar
1/4 cup apple juice
2 Tbs. Ketchup
1 Tbs. Cider Vinegar
1 clove Garlic finely chopped
1/2 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 Tsp. Ground Ginger
1 Tbs. Cornstarch
1 Tbs. Water

Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over med. high heat add chicken cook until lightly browned. (6-7 min) Set aside. Combine remaining ingredients except cornstarch and water in a bowl and mix well, pour over chicken and return to heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and cover, simmer for 20 minutes. In a small dish combine cornstarch and water, blend well and then add to chicken mixture. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened and it glazes over chicken.

**Try this with some take out Fried Rice from your local Chinese joint....this stuff is sooooo good.
ENJOY!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chicken Lo Mein

1/2 pound spaghetti
1/2 pound chicken
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
peanut oil
2 stalks celery, sliced thin
1 cup cabbage, sliced thin, or chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Cook spaghetti as directed on package, drain, rinse in cold water, add a few drops oil and mix to keep from sticking. Set aside.

Chop chicken into 2" pieces.

Mix together meat, ginger, garlic, onions, cornstarch, sugar, 1/4 cup soy sauce; set aside to marinate.

Heat wok to smoking, add 2 tbs oil. Stir fry meat mixture two minutes; do not over cook. Set aside.

Add 2 tbs oil to wok; stir fry celery and cabbage two minutes.

Add spaghetti, stir well and cook a few minutes.

Add meat mixture, remaining soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir a minute to heat through, then serve.

Back
Top Bottom