I lost my ducks to a bobcat a few nights ago

I'm so sorry...of all the things you think of when predator proofing your ducks home, I would never think of a bobcat!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

hah, a goose in the city... not likely.
No I am set 100% on a scovy if I do get another one... Out of every duck I have ever met scovy's personallitys are just wonderful...
I would've never believed it wasn't a bobcat until I saw it with my own eyes... trying to haul my very heavy muscovy over the fence... I'm sure mustard was half his body weight.

It's not fair to them to die like that... I am still in shock over the whole thing
sad.png

Quote:
Weeeeelll.... A HOUSE goose might be quiet!
lol.png

I've never had scovies before.
I tried incubating four, but fried them all on the last day before hatch. Now THAT'S an unfair way to die...
hit.gif

I hate that I did that.
sad.png

Keep in mind, this is hard to deal with, but predator vs. prey is how nature was designed.
It might not be 'fair' for the ducks (and ESPECIALLY their owners!), but it's how the predators survive. Cats need to eat too, I just wish it could have found a rabbit in the woods somewhere for your sake.
hmm.png

Scovies may be the ugliest duck species, but on the inside, i think that they are the most beautiful. I have never met a bad scovy. They're always sweet and kind.
I should know as well as anyone that this happens in life, since I actually want to go to college to study big predators like that...

I just can't believe its wondering the city killing peoples animals... Mine haven't been the only ones to suffer this... and why it killed both my ducks.
It would have been fine off taking one...

I just can't imagine how scared they were, and I knew mustard was probably looking for me to protect him... I'm always there for the big guy
hmm.png

I just wish I could've came while he was still alive, he was stiff when I found him... I wish I could've atleast done something to save him, something...

hugs.gif
Don't beat yourself up over it. You don't usually have that type of predator in the city. Something is wrong with the cat. Possibly it is older, hurt or sick and has come into town for an easier catch. Hopefully the city has someone on this and they are going to try and catch the bobcat before it actually hurts a kid or person who may be trying to save their beloved pet.

I lost 10 hens to a bobcat, I was never sure what the predator was until I saw her with my own eyes. I was losing them in daylight, it grabbed a chicken even though I was 20 feet away. I have since built a coop and run with 6 ft bird netting with metal posts and electrified the fence with 4 strands of string. I saw the cat reach in the net to grab a chicken, it got shocked let go of the hen and ever since never lost one again. They do not free range, but do have a large area to roam. Seen raccoons here too. I'm in the country but not far from the city. The bobcats will not stop taking until you resolve them or secure the animals. Good luck and yes the chickens learn quick to stay away from an electric string.

16627_dsc06187.jpg

Back
Top Bottom