I lost my first hen this evening

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginbart

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Bloomsburg, PA
She had been attacked by a red tailed hawk a couple of days ago. I didn’t see any open wounds on her and thought she was ok. Last night when they all went to go in she didn’t. I walked over to her and she walked right between my legs and stayed there. I picked her up and moved her to the other side of the barn so she would be by herself. I gave her a blanket and put straw around her. I couldn’t bring her in the house because I had no place to put her, DH wouldn’t have liked that. Today I checked on her and she just laid there. She didn’t touch her food. I tried to get her to drink but she wouldn't. She was one of my first eggs I hatched. She was a RIR and born on Easter 2008. I fell like I lost my best friend.

Yesterday my DH was looking outside and said, there’s what’s going to kill your chickens. He thought it was a hawk. He took the gun out and I’m waiting saying shoot, shoot in the house the next thing I know the bird is flying away and I said why didn’t you shoot that D(&* thing? He said when he looked at it in the scope it was an Eagle. We don’t have many of those around here so my babies have to stay in today and they may have to stay in for a week. I have seen the red tailed hawk and if I see it again it will be dead. But don't worry I won’t shoot the Eagle. I guess if that gets one of my chickens there’s nothing I can do about that. I wouldn't kill an Eagle if I was allowed to, they are a beautiful bird. I just miss my girl.

Quote:
Sorry about your lose.

I do have to say Red Tailed Hawks are quite beautiful also... give the hawk some love... or just shoot it! To be fair I'd be hard pressed to kill an Eagle also, just too rare here, heck probably not any in my county.

Schlante,
Phillip

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that all raptors are protected. Not only is it a federal offense to kill an eagle, I also believe it is an offense to kill a hawk. Years ago when I was an undergrad, it was illegal to even have feathers or feet from raptors that you may have found all ready dead. Before you shoot the hawk...check it out! (And don't tell ANYONE you shot it!)

it is illegal to kill an eagle and a hawk of any kind but i have said this many times before if something is going to hurt my babies im going to defend them with all i can. and ginbart im so sorry for your loss its hard to lose them when they began in your hands.

I don't believe that mvktr2 is from the USA so our federal laws don't apply.

Sorry for your loss ginbart.

Quote:
It's not an offense to kill a hawk if it is killing my flock. I already called the PA game Warden. I did look at the hawk and it is a beautiful bird but I can't have it killing my chickens. I'm going to leave them, the chickens, in the barn for a week in hopes the hawk will look else where for food. Maybe it could move a litttle more down the road. You know I don't know if it gets right down to it could I shoot it. It's only looking for food but I just wish it would look somethere else.

On TV the other day they were talking about a 400lb bear was eating a goat and they killed it. Now that I wouldn't have a problem shooting.

I just love birds all birds. So don't worry unless it comes back to my yard it's ok. I just wanted to say how bad I felt about loosing my bird.

dont shoot the eagle.. but for shooting practice if you see the hawk about to make a munchie on your chickens take aim.... but barry the thing and dont tell anyone!
tongue.png

Please don't anyone kill any raptor--they are predators and are not a nuisance animal like raccoons and coyotes who are growing in population due to our encroachment. They also were here long before we were. There are ways to keep them at bay, I believe other posters have made the additions (not that expensive or hard they said). You could also ask the nearest Audubon Society what to do. I feel that I have chosen to have chickens and am taking the responsibility to keep them as safe as I can without making the natural, local animal life suffer for it. Its not simple at times and quite frustrating too but I decided that in addition to their permanently roofed run I will use netting or cover for when they are pastured.
love.gif

My sympathy for your loss--I would be heartbroken.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I will call the Audubon Society and see what they say. I don't have a closed in area for my chickens. They free range but I will see what I can find on here to keep them away. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom