I lost so many today

If we can get any reimbursement for this it is going towards reinforcing the fence. We plan on adding welded wire to the outside fence line. If we can we will be adding a hot wire too. I wont be getting any more birds until this is done. I wouldn't be able to stand it if these dogs came back and killed again.

All my neighbors are on guard for me now too. Its a pretty well known fact that I love my birds and I'm starting my breeding program soon. The neighbor that gave me three hens to start with is livid. Where as I got sad and cried she got angry for me. Especially because she had seen these dogs and chased them off her place.

My show birds got lucky because I had not moved them yet. They are in an old dog pen with cement flooring and 2 layers of welded wire fence. Plus welded wire over the top to keep them in. Those two dogs were pacing and trying to dig their way into the pen. If I had moved them to be with everyone else I'd have lost them too.

So we found the dogs and the owner. We are submitting a police report now with estimated damages. The value of the chickens themselves, the pens that were torn up, and the future profit we would have made of the eggs. It is a question of whether or not this guy will pay with or without going to court.

So we found the dogs and the owner. We are submitting a police report now with estimated damages. The value of the chickens themselves, the pens that were torn up, and the future profit we would have made of the eggs. It is a question of whether or not this guy will pay with or without going to court.

I have my fingers crossed for you that he does the right thing
fl.gif

Another update
Police report is filed. I also found out that the same two dogs took down a calf this morning on the other side of town.

Wow! Those dogs did some damage! Makes me mad! :( It scares me too, occasionally some hounds belonging to some folks a couple streets over get loose. I don't have a problem with hounds, that's all our two dogs are, but it scares me that one day the "loose dogs" might attack our chickens or our goats. They never have, they're actually friendly as could be, but still a frightening thought if they were hungry enough. And we can't put an electric fence up because our Beagle would just not stop stepping on it when she follows us into the chicken pen. Gosh, she'd just be standing there getting shocked. :lol: Same thing happened when we were training her with the electric fence. Luckily our other hound knows we love our animals and he really has a drive to protect them. I think he's what's kept our animals from getting attacked all these years.

Well I wont have to worry about that pair of dogs anymore. After they killed that calf and my flock they were deemed dangerous. The city manager dispatched them. It is a bit sad because I know its not really the dogs fault. They are just being dogs, the owner should have been more responsible. However, it doesn't change what happened.

Hey aggie2013 while I am sad that it ended that way for the dogs and the blame for that lays solely at the feet of the owner; I am pleased that you will not have them on your property again.

Back
Top Bottom