I love BackyardChickens.com and finally joined!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lizzieo, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Lizzieo

Lizzieo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Hartford, CT
    Hi all,

I have four chickens in Hartford CT, we started this experiment last summer after years of wanting chickens I finally convinced the family to give it a go. We got 4 nine week old pullets from another backyard farmer. I have one buff orpington, one white/lavendar orpington (she has white feathers but grey legs), one white wyandotte, and one blue ameraucana. We built a lovely little coop for them in our backyard and I let them free range in the yard for a few hours every day. All of them are laying now (the ameraucana only started laying in February) and we love the eggs. I have four children and they love the girls too!

I am having one bit of trouble as the wyandotte seems to be bullying the ameraucana. She is almost bald on the top of her head! I have seen the bully do it so I know that is what it is from. I am trying now to seperate the bully from the rest of the girls but it is kind of tricky as the space I have for her (a small dog crate) is far from ideal. I am thinking of putting her in a seperate space but havenot had time to build it yet! Any tips on what I can do?

My other thought was to get rid of her (maybe find her a home elsewhere) as she is making me crazy.

So glad to be here with all the other chicken lovers!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, lizzieo, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! I sometimes have a hen getting picked on - I think the separate cage is a good idea! Are you thinking of getting rid of the picked on one or the one who does the picking? Good luck to you!

3. Lizzieo

Lizzieo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Hartford, CT
    Hi Redsoxs, I am thinking of getting rid of the bully. I love the Ameraucana, she is sweet and friendly and lays blue eggs! The bully wants nothing to do with me or my kids so I don't think we would miss her. We are getting two new girls in a few weeks - a local guy who sells chicks is holding them for me until they can go outside as I am not equipped for chicks. I thought we could just trade the bully out for the new ones, though I know I have to keep the new ones separate for a while.

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009