I love BackyardChickens.com and finally joined!

Lizzieo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
Hartford, CT
Hi all,

I have four chickens in Hartford CT, we started this experiment last summer after years of wanting chickens I finally convinced the family to give it a go. We got 4 nine week old pullets from another backyard farmer. I have one buff orpington, one white/lavendar orpington (she has white feathers but grey legs), one white wyandotte, and one blue ameraucana. We built a lovely little coop for them in our backyard and I let them free range in the yard for a few hours every day. All of them are laying now (the ameraucana only started laying in February) and we love the eggs. I have four children and they love the girls too!

I am having one bit of trouble as the wyandotte seems to be bullying the ameraucana. She is almost bald on the top of her head! I have seen the bully do it so I know that is what it is from. I am trying now to seperate the bully from the rest of the girls but it is kind of tricky as the space I have for her (a small dog crate) is far from ideal. I am thinking of putting her in a seperate space but havenot had time to build it yet! Any tips on what I can do?

My other thought was to get rid of her (maybe find her a home elsewhere) as she is making me crazy.

So glad to be here with all the other chicken lovers!

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, lizzieo, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here! I sometimes have a hen getting picked on - I think the separate cage is a good idea! Are you thinking of getting rid of the picked on one or the one who does the picking? Good luck to you!

Hi Redsoxs, I am thinking of getting rid of the bully. I love the Ameraucana, she is sweet and friendly and lays blue eggs! The bully wants nothing to do with me or my kids so I don't think we would miss her. We are getting two new girls in a few weeks - a local guy who sells chicks is holding them for me until they can go outside as I am not equipped for chicks. I thought we could just trade the bully out for the new ones, though I know I have to keep the new ones separate for a while.

Back
Top Bottom