I love BYC!

Krazyquilts

Songster
Aug 2, 2016
Geneva, Ohio (northeast of Cleveland)
Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I have been scouring BYC for weeks and finally decided that I really should join. I am waiting for 6 ducklings to be delivered (hopefully tomorrow!!) and have learned so much from reading this site! I found BYC while googling poultry questions while trying to decide if we wanted ducks or chickens, if we really wanted to take on the responsibility of livestock, etc.

I ordered the ducklings from Meyers Hatchery and ordered Welsh Harlequins, Buffs, and Cayugas - 2 females of each breed. I wanted breeds listed as rare on the Livestock Conservancy website and wanted to get more than one breed so that when my husband and I have our farm (hopefully within the next couple years), I will have a better idea of what breed/breeds I want to focus on.

My husband and I live near Cleveland, Ohio and unfortunately still live in town so we can't have sheep or goats or most other farm animals, but this summer my neighbor announced that next spring, they were getting chickens and I decided that I didn't want to wait any longer either.

About 6 years ago, my husband and I converted most of our backyard into raised bed Square Foot gardens. With the exception of a few herbs, I start all my plants from heirloom/open pollinated seeds that I purchase mostly from rareseeds.com and I don't use any chemicals on our garden.

I also like to knit and spin yarn, use fountain pens, cook, and play with our three yorkies who have no idea what's arriving this week! I am so excited about the ducklings' arrival that I may not sleep tonight!

I so look forward to being a part of this amazing community. Thank you all so much for everything that has been posted and shared for noobs like me to learn from.

Greetings from Kansas, Krazyquilts, and :welcome! Great to have you here. Glad you were finally able to get some ducks. I hope one day you can expand your animal operation to chickens and goats, etc. Sounds like you have a lot of cool stuff going on with the spinning and knitting. My wife is a knitting fanatic! Enjoy those ducklings! :weee

welcome-byc.gif

Wish I could have ducks. :/ My daughter loves to crochet. No, her mother did not teach her. :/ She makes beautiful blankets. Then there is mom..me...I used to love to cook..had to love it...had 12 mouths to feed! Loved baking! They loved that I loved baking. :)

For duck specific questions you may want to post on the "Duck thread."

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that small/toy breeds like doxies, yorkies and Chihuahuas - have massacred a lot of chicks and sometimes grown birds, according to new members who were shocked by their own dogs

. I'm sure baby ducklings would be at risk also. Dogs like to chase the birds because they run and make noises. Dogs grabs one to make it squeak. When it stops squeaking (dead) it runs and grabs some more. Great fun for dogs (and cats) no fun for birds who end up dead.

Of course large breeds of dog do the same but, people tend to think small dogs aren't capable so don't supervise them. Personally I think poultry of any age AND dogs(cats) should Never meet.

It's always good to warn people about potential issues, thank you. Right now, the ducklings (who arrived this morning!!!) are staying in their brooder for the most part. One of our yorkies is a mostly blind and deaf geriatric who probably won't be aware that the ducklings even exist lol, one of them seems rather nervous and a bit scared even of the ducklings, and the third is obsessed with watching the funny looking not-quite-squirrels that we have brought her.

Back
Top Bottom