I LOVE CROWS and MARTINS

beachchickie

Songster
10 Years
Dec 6, 2009
Alabama
We have an abundance of crows this year and they are giving the hawks a run for the money. The martins are doing their part too. The crows eat the baby bluejay and mocking birds out of their nests which I hate. But, while they are around the hawks are getting chased away which I love. I think the crows must be eating the baby hawks as well. Oh happy day!

Crow numbers vary here and I am always glad when there are a lot. They are really rough on our hawk population. The hawks nest nearby if they can, and we've had a couple of attacks (and one foiled one) but mostly they apparently have better pickings elsewhere -- and with crows around they GO elsewhere. I have never seen a crow anywhere near the coop or chickens.

We have Ravens here in AZ and they also will run a hawk out of their territory and though we do not trust them fully I have never seen one even pay attention to our chickens pullet or mature. But there are stories of Raven attacks on young birds since they eat them in the wild.

Many times we've seen crows/ravens chasing a hawk off through the air. And actually, one time my dad saw a hawk going into a dive to grab one of our guinea fowl, and a crow intervened and attacked the hawk. We assumed the crow had a nest nearby.

And I've also heard stories of crows/ravens eating eggs. So while they may not be entirely good..As long as eggs and young babies are kept safe and secure the crows/ravens help to protect our free ranging adults so that is good news!

I hate the crows here!They go in to the little door of my coop and fly off with my eggs.
barnie.gif

Crows? I don't like them either, but the other day they did lead me to a copperhead. I saw crows run owls out of a nest years ago and eat the babies, and to this day I can't stand um. I even protect my hawks from the black feathered creatures. I know I have to protect my hens from the hawks. Crazy world ain't it?
lol.png

Quote:
they try to do that here they encounter my .22 caliber "spirit stick " they then die from lead poisoning I am kina fond of the hawks and my owls they keep the rodents down here

Well, the crows can't get to my eggs and since they don't mess with my chickens and they do chase away hawks I will take them over hawks any day of the week. I have lost 4 chickens to hawks in 2 yr period. I hate hawks. I don't care what good they do. The bad they inflict is not a trade off for me.

Back
Top Bottom