I love my dog!

augustmomx2

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Central Indiana
I live in an urban/subarban setting. To be quite honest, I thought the biggest prob w/predators I would have, would be rats/mice or even my own dog. Boy was I WRONG!

This evening my dog had his "intruder" bark. I went outside since he wouldn't stop barking and realized a young raccoon was sitting on my fence! Where did this thing come from? Anywho, his barking and my smacking a pool noodle against the house finally chased him offf.

Yay, Jake
love.gif
Time to make the coop a little more predator-proof tomorrow.

Your Dog deserves a treat! I am also in an urban setting and though my predators were the same as yours... well I have now been visited by Opossums!!
barnie.gif

Quote:
He received several treats and lots of extra-pets! Where do these animals come from...very weird, there's never any evidence that they're even around here
hu.gif

Its seems these city predators wouldn't know what chickens were! Darn those instincts!
he.gif

Very strange to never seeing them, to now they are in your backyard!
barnie.gif

One word of warning: raccoons are nasty, clever, and probably will not be very scared of your dog or pool noodle for very much longer. They get very brave very fast and they learn quickly.

Don't be afraid to get an electric fence! If they are making their presence known to you, they don't perceive you as a threat. From what I've read on here, it's easy and relatively inexpensive to run an electric fence. Some are solar powered so they only come on automatically at dusk. Very smart!

Good luck in battening down the hatches! I'm so proud of your dog!

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up! I will look into the electric fence further...Racoons are sneakly little turds (or insert a much harsher word). When dh and I were dating, we went on a camping trip. They actually sliced our tent open w/their fingernails, snuck in our tent (while we were sleeping) and stole our bread!

Back
Top Bottom