I love my rooster

His name is Earnie.The other day the stray street dogs took someones chicken. Earnie stayed on the ground and "barked" at them. All of the hens were up in our tree. All I can say is Earnie is no chicken he is all rooster and he is my first nonjerk rooster.
I love my roosters too.:)
Lots of them were jerks, but with time and patience they all grew up.
Will they all see off a predator? I very much doubt it, but most will die trying.

I loved my 2 Cockerels. They were doing an amazing job but unfortunately they were making sure a fox stayed away from the pullets and ended up getting killed and 1 injured and died afew days later:hit:barnie
When I lived in Germany I hated hearing those 3 AM fox calls. I do not know how I could deal with them now that I have chicken. Kudos to your boys! They sound like they were incredible roos.

I still think it is funny a 5 pound rooster was barking down 80 pounds of dog meat. I really hope he doesn't get himself killed.

Last edited:
I do need to correct something. My roo is a jerk to his hens, just not to me. If I try to let them out of the hen house 5 minutes early he does drop his wings and pulls their feathers. He is a jerk, but I think most roos are.

I live my boy. He is at the age where he is definitely more protective of the girls. Ask my sister, she decided to clap and try grabbing one of the girls--he flogged her. She said man he has strong legs, but he didn't leave a mark. Then she turned her back in him--I'm yelling don't turn your back on a rooster-he was not done with her--I had to step in finally.

We are not holding it against him--she should not have tried grabbing one of the girls--stupid move.

Back
Top Bottom