I made a hanging feeder and waterer!

09northernchick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
I have scoured this board and others online looking for an idea for hanging waterers and feeders. I really liked the ideas found here
http://toolmakingart.com/2008/06/10/chicken-feeders/

and here
http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-Effective-Easy-One-Stop-Chicken-Shop-Fee/

Not having exactly the materials called for in either idea, I ventured out on my own a bit.

I was able to find two good sized containers from my grocery store's bakery for free - Yah!

Following the guidelines given by smilestill (from here !) instructable (second link) I drilled four 2" holes, 1 1/2" from the bottom of the large bucket for my waterer, and 6 holes with the same measurements for my feeder.

For the waterer, I then took a 4L container that our drinking water comes in. I drilled a 1/4" hole about 1" from the bottom. I do have to put my finger over the hole as I fill the jug, but it isn't very big and if I had done it the other way the jug wouldn't sit flat. It works fine just covering it while I fill it. I screw the jugs cover on tightly, put the jug into my large bucket and release my finger. Voila! We screwed two large hooks under the droppings tray and it works great.

waterer.jpg

For the feeder I made the outer bucket as described above, and then cut four triangles out of the bottom of another 4L water jug. I also cut off the top (as indicated by the white area in the photo) so I could fill it easily with my scoop. I set this inside my big bucket, put on the top to keep things clean and hang it. The girls figured this one out immediately!

feeder.jpg

Here they are hanging and being used. My girls are still young and I may eventually find something larger than the 4L jugs, but for now they are working perfectly and everything was free and made in under half and hour.

final.jpg

Thanks to all of those who share their ideas! It just saved me lots of money and was so rewarding to make it myself. Hopefully these photos will give someone else and idea too
smile.png

I think I might try this when we move our chickies. But instead of using your finger to cover the hole on the water why not just get a small cork or some other type of plug that fits?
Emily

Thanks! I never would have thought to try making one had it not been for folks on here!

I was thinking of trying to use of those ear plugs that you can squeeze and putting it into the hole where it would expand and fill it. I think that will likely work. Especially for when my son wants to fill the jug.

Back
Top Bottom