I made a home made feeder - Cost around 7 bucks :)

MIKE555444

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Pliny, West Virgina
I bought a small 5 gal trash can with lid and used the bottom of a clothes basket for the bottom section. I moved it to the coop yesterday so we will see how well it works out.

Here are pics:
0202001958.jpg

0202001958c.jpg

0202001958b.jpg

0202001958a.jpg

Wish I had more chickens so I could use this one. Any ideas for a smaller version? I am using a pvc pipe with holes the size of door knobs and a elbow to pour the feed in. Works okay but gets stuck in the elbow...

Quote:
I didn't really have it worked out. I just showed up at the Dollar General store and looked for something that would work.

Only issue I have had with this one so far has been that the plastic lid is not really strong enough to hang it as my old one was. So I hung it anyway but then added a block to support most of the weight. The hang cord still keeps the chicks from knocking it down but most of the weight is supported by the cinder block underneath.

It was a cheap fix
smile.png

Very cool! But......just keep an eye out. Since its plastic, the girls might munch on it. If you see that they are eating the plastic you'll have to try something else.

great design tho.

Just spent the afternoon doing a search on homemade feeders. I have some of the store bought ones but the layer I feed is so fine it doesnt fill the tray all the time so I have been using something else Your design looks like it has alot of space for the feed to flow into the tray I am going tomorrow to get the componets to make some of these we have been losing too much food on the ground. Thanks for the clever idea.Micki

edit to ad: Many people use plastic feeders and the chickens dont peck at it I dont think there shuld be any more of a problem with the trash can than there is for the 5 gallon bucket.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom