I made the paper! And I need a small favour of all of you.

Done! Good luck!!
smile.png

btw, I also gave a thumbs up.
tongue.png

but with limitations imposed, what happens to the person who wants to hatch some chicks?

When you are trying to cut a deal with someone, you don't say "ok I'll be happy to take $50 for that." and then after you have the $50 in your hand you ask for $100. Doesn't work that way in my opinion. I'd think you'd ask for MORE and then maybe settle for less. Don't impose the restrictions on yourself from the get go. Its not like keeping chickens is that unimaginable to begin with. Its not a lot to ask. Not like keeping and raising rattlesnakes or some other dangerous kritters might be a bit frightening to the general public. I say fight for more than what you want. Once these laws get written I doubt very seriously that they'll be REwritten anytime soon. And we'll all just have to be happy with what restrictions are imposed, or whatever concessions YOU'VE agreed to.

At least you're trying. I need to do some research and talk to my legal counselor....

Screw the restrictions! They're just chickens!!!! If there are problems then I am sure someone would make a complaint just like they would about a dog roaming the neighborhood. I've seen the spca cruise thru this area looking for a dog on the roam. You know someone called in a complaint....

What exactly were your towns bylaws to begin with Emily...the article doesnt say.

and please forgive me, congratulations again. I do think its great that you are proactive. Just that this has been stewing in my mind. I am afraid that ppl will be so happy to have a law for chicken keeping that they will willingly shortchange themselves. Laws aren't always a good thing...lol.

Last edited:
The bylaws already are:
*no chickens in any number within municipal limits unless you are zoned "agricultural".

But laws exist already that:

*limit the number of any animal to 3 of that breed (we're hoping for 6-10 chickens)
*no "animals at large"...so wandering off your property.
*feces must be disposed of in a "timely fashion" or stored in air-tight container
*noise ordinance already exists that would limit a rooster...many dogs here get ticketed for howling/barking.

There are a number of bylaws here that already would protect people from owning too many for their lot size, from letting their coops get overrun and stinky, and from animals roaming onto other people's property.

I'm not here to debate my reasons for agreeing to limitations...they are what they are and come from much time spent debating with myself over agreeing to them. But, time with our local councillors and representatives has nudged it in that direction, sadly. Thank you for your concern.

Last edited:
Thanks for understanding my rant :) Six - Ten chickens doesn't sound like too much.... I keep my 7 in check and cared for better than my neighbor across the road does his ONE dog. lol. Keep fighting the good fight. And maybe you can keep that outlaw spirit (and a few extra hens!) lol.

Back
Top Bottom