I messed up and need advice

Jan 9, 2022
I have two hens that my roosters were riding too hard. They where losing there feathers. I moved 1 rooster to another coop and got saddles for the two ladies and today when I took the saddles off there wings are horrible. They have only been on a week. The saddles did come with wings protectors which I think is what caused all the damage. I did check underneath but I didn't check on there wings and I wish I would have. I sprayed with vetericyn but what else should I do and will there wings ever grow back? This is Henny she has the most damage.

Attachments

• 20220324_162209.jpg
    20220324_162209.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220324_162206.jpg
    20220324_162206.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 1
I have two hens that my roosters were riding too hard. They where losing there feathers. I moved 1 rooster to another coop and got saddles for the two ladies and today when I took the saddles off there wings are horrible. They have only been on a week. The saddles did come with wings protectors which I think is what caused all the damage. I did check underneath but I didn't check on there wings and I wish I would have. I sprayed with vetericyn but what else should I do and will there wings ever grow back? This is Henny she has the most damage.
They'll grow back when she molts.

what else should I do
I keep my roosters in a stag pen and allow limited access to the hens only when I desire.

Especially young cockerels who need a chance to learn some manners. and grow out of the raging hormones.

I would question your rations and say keeping your ratios right helps.. but I know favorites and or weak links that are easy to mount, may still be abused in this manner.

More mature roosters should not be causing this damage. If it's worse and not better after the separation of one rooster and adding saddles, then maybe more drastic action should be taken? It would be here.

Best wishes sorting it out, she'll recover quickly once you do! :fl

Back
Top Bottom