I messed up :(

C_Dzchicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Knoxville, Tennessee
So, long story short, I have a breeder flock and a wonderful, beautiful, typee Dominique rooster. He just died
hit.gif
Coincidentally, at the same time and hen went broody and started sitting on some of his last eggs. Then I messed up. I left her in the hutch but I left the hutch in the sun and it got really hot. So hot, in fact, that she came out (off the nest) and into the yard and was sitting there when I got home.
barnie.gif
This was yesterday. I got a fan on her and got some water in her (her comb, wattles and cheeks were flushed white, but now are back to red) and she resumed tending the nest w/in 20-30 mins of me discovering her being off them.

The problem is I have no idea how long she was off of them. She probably had shade until about 3PM and I discovered her around 6. The one thing I have going for me is that it was really hot so I cant imagine they got too cool. They still felt warm to touch. Given my situation, though, I REALLY need these eggs to hatch out. What are your thoughts?

Also, before I moved her to the brooder hutch, another hen laid an egg in her clutch about a day after she started sitting on them and I don't know which one it was. Wonder if there will be a chance to throw it in the incubator if/when it doesn't hatch? Why do I have to make everything so complicated?

No worries. My hens take breaks all the time, and if it was that hot the eggs probably never knew she was gone.
Also, hatching within a day is fine. It's the ones laid a week later that are issues.

I mark the eggs with a permanent marker so that I can pull late additions.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry your roo died
hugs.gif
. I'm sure your hen knows whats she's doing. How hot was it? The eggs may not have gotten cold at all. If's shes back on them, and especially if its in the early development stages, I'd say they should be ok. Good luck to you.

I just realized you're right down the road from me. How long ago did your roo die?
If you still have some fertile eggs, I have an over-zealous hen dying to set on eggs. I'd be happy to let her set some for, then give you back the chicks. She's a great broody but I have more chicks of my own than I can handle right now.

I'm sorry your roo died.
hugs.gif

Move the broody hutch to a cool, very cool spot and then leave the hen to do what she's gotta do. Never mind the odd egg. Things will work themselves out. Once you have done this? MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS! Sorry it sounds harsh but there seem to be to many busy bodies who think chickens never hatched an egg until man came along to help.

Broodies don't need you to candle their eggs or check to see if everything is ok. I've had enough to know. I have one who's setting now and I haven't touched her or the eggs. The only thing I've done is give her a dish of food and changed her water, maybe clean out the poop. Sure they might lose and odd chick now and then or an egg will go unhatched but they know what their doing.

Hope you take this advice and things turn out good.

Rancher

23908_del_broody_and_birds_001.jpg
23908_del_broody_and_birds_004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom