I might get some ducks soon.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quiltbea, Nov 3, 2010.

1. quiltbea

quiltbea Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    Southwestern Maine
    I've been talking to my son. He owns the home with its mostly wooded 7 plus acres and I have the daylight basement's in-law apt so I have to ask permission to do things on his property. He's been very good about the flower garden, the raised vegetable beds and composting, as well as the new dwarf fruit trees I put in last yr and the yr before, but he's held firm against my getting a small flock of chickens.
    I asked him about ducks today, just two, no trouble, great egg layers. I can use Daisy's (his large golden retriever who never uses it) well-built, very heavy dog house for their duck house in my hosta garden which I will fence in with 4-ft fencing this spring. They can free-range all spring, summer and fall in the flower beds and the vegetable beds where they can eat all the weeds, insects and slugs they desire. Hopefully I can train my corgi, a herding breed who eagerly herds Daisy every day, to herd the ducks back to their yard and house in the evenings for safety.
    He's going to sleep on it.
    If the answer is yes, right now I'm thinking Welsh harlequins.
    Pleasem everyone, wish me luck.
    I love this forum. Its so helpful.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Best of luck! [​IMG] Hope you get to get a couple ducks. They're great, you will really enjoy them too. [​IMG] when you get them, we'd love to see pics!

3. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    We used to have ducks and I loved them. Unfortunately we didn't realize just how much energy they had and our coop was not large enough and they started picking on the chickens in their bordem. We gave them to a couple that had a lot more like yours and a pond. Make sure that your dog house is water proof cuz they'll spill any water you give them lol

4. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    One problem there, the ducks will not only eat the weeds but every other plant in there. I thought that it would be okay to let them be in our garden too but they ended up eating a good majority of the fresh buds and leaves off of everything so i ended up putting up the fence to keep them out and not in.

5. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:GREAT idea.

Couple things though....
    1. You have to prepare for their extremely messy lifestyle, lots of poo (great for the garden), and a weeded....and destroyed garden.
    2. The Corgi will not be needed as they will go back to their house on their own as it starts to get dark out.
    3. If you decide to get any males you will need at least 3 females per male to prevent overbreeding.
    4. WH ARE AWESOME!

Oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    They are messy and they can be loud and bossy, they love to "drill" in the mud, require water to preen and swim ideally, etc.
    Having said that, I started out with 3 that I hatched out in May and am up to 14-they are some of the most wonderful, beautiful creatures God blessed us with-I adore mine beyond words.
    Here's hoping you are able to share the joy of being a duck owner! [​IMG]

7. quiltbea

Nov 24, 2009
    Southwestern Maine
    Thanks for the replies. I'm learning more all the time.
    I think I can handle it.
    I'm only getting two and their yard will be in the hosta garden. I don't start any new plants there. I have hosts, azaleas, bleeding hearts and a couple of rose bushes. I think they'll appreciate any weeding around them.
    I won't let them in the veggie garden until the plants are growing well so they can feast on slugs then.

We don't have coons around that I'm aware of, but I plan to have a 4 ft fence around the area and will bury chicken wire around the outer edges so critters can't dig beneath the fence.

I still haven't had an answer from my son He's gone to work now so maybe this evening I'll hear something.

Thanks everyone, for your interest in a newbie.

8. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:You might want to check on the plants there.. I have read that azaleas are poisonus to ducks!

9. quiltbea

Nov 24, 2009
    Southwestern Maine
    Thank you, I'll check further on that.

The azaleas are actually mini rhododendrums only 2.5 ft tall (3 of them) that grow on the outside perimeter of the area so I can always fun the fenceline inside them to prevent any problems.

Its things like this that are so helpful to me.
    Thanks again.

10. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    I wish you the best of luck, my ducks are a lot of fun--I have Welsh Harlequins and Magpies. I have 3 large flower beds in the area they free range and they absolutely destroyed all my hostas (by eating them), coral bells, pachsandra, and a few other species by stomping/laying/digging through them. I really didn't mind so much, for me it is an awesome feeling to look out the kitchen window and see my ducks swimming, foraging or sunning themselves in my backyard. It did however really upset my Husband, so next spring we are fencing off the flowers. There is always a compromise [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by